• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lizzy had a crash landing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
I came home today to find that the skin between Lizzy's nares, right at the top of her beak was bleeding. My husband said she got spooked while she was out of her cage and took off flying like a wild thing. He said she landed on the floor after first running into something else (he doesn't know what). The skin is actually scraped up off her beak a little so that the tiniest bit more of beak is showing than before (at the top).
The injury is bloody but not acively bleeding as far as I can tell -- no blood dripping at any rate. She is acting normal - singing, playing, chirping, bobbing her head, and she just ate some almonds for me.
Do I need to worry? My husband says she is fine and I am just being crazy but its not like she can tell me if she needs to get medical care!
I took some pics but I couldn't get any head on because she always turns her face when I have the camera out.
Suggestions? Does she need to go to the vet?
New Image.JPG New Image2.JPG

Thanks!

Debi

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
She looks good. I think I would just watch her. Maybe dab it a little with some paprika water?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, try and relax.

This what I would do for one of mine. If you have GSE, mix 7 drops to a cup of water and wash the wound. Depending on what you have available, cayenne pepper will control bleeding , help with pain, and promote healing, mix with water to make a paste. If you choose any other product, read the labels to make sure it is non toxic!! Best product to keep on hand would be Silvasorb Gell.

If you have any questions please ask.

Gary

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He looks bright eyed and alert. No visible swelling. If he had any kind of concussion from the accident he would sit quietly kind of puffed up and act "sleepy" and possibly one or both eyes would droop/intermittently close.

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
Thank you all so much for your quick responses.

Im not sure what GSE is -- I'll have to look into getting some.

I have Silver Sulfadine cream that her vet gave me for her vent after she had problems with an egg a while back. The vet said to keep any extra that was left because it was good for all sorts of injuries. Would this be ok to put on it? I'm a little scared to do the cayenne paste because it is so close to her nare -- wouldn't it irritate her if some got in there? (I also don't have any cayenne eiher but a quick trip to the grocery could fix that).

Apparently I am poorly prepared for bird injuries. :(

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Oh, poor baby; that's gotta hurt. Why do these things happen on a weekend or holiday?!? I agree with the above comments--I would keep an eye on him, but probably not call the vet at this time. Feel better, Lizzie:heart:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Thank you all so much for your quick responses.

Im not sure what GSE is -- I'll have to look into getting some.

I have Silver Sulfadine cream that her vet gave me for her vent after she had problems with an egg a while back. The vet said to keep any extra that was left because it was good for all sorts of injuries. Would this be ok to put on it? I'm a little scared to do the cayenne paste because it is so close to her nare -- wouldn't it irritate her if some got in there? (I also don't have any cayenne eiher but a quick trip to the grocery could fix that).

Apparently I am poorly prepared for bird injuries. :(
IMHO,if she accepts toweling, I would do that as gently as you can & hold her head (to keep her from turning back & forth). If you can't do that, then I would just leave her alone. But that's just me--I wouldn't want to pile stress on top of injury.:heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Lizzy,I hope she feels better soon.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I don't have any advice better then what others have said-Just wishing Her a speedy recovery:hug8:

Cattoes7

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debi
Well... the label says Silver Sulfadine but when I google it, I get mostly responses for silvadene so I am assuming it is the same thing. Maybe they made a mistake when typing the label. Silver Sulfadine did come up a couple of times for animal care so I am not really sure. When her AV originally gave it to me she did say it had antibacterial qualities. She also said that it was something prescribed for people as well as animals. I ended up rinsing it with saline and putting a dab of the Silver Sulfadine on it. It looks much better already so I am thinking its ok.

Gary, would I get GSE at a health food store? I'm thinking I had better put a birdy first aid kit together for any future mishaps.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!Debi

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Very good job nurse! Silvadene is excellent as is Silvasorb Gell and you can find GSE at most health food stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.