• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liver problem question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
what do you use for liver prob..would like to try a Holistic approach first before meds from vet..(milk thistle is what im thinking)this is for a Male Vos Ekie Thanks

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Leslie beat me to it! That was the link I was going to post.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Ray went into complete liver failure at about 9mths old - it was too late for us to try holistic and our vet believed it was likely due to a combination of heavy metals and bacterial infections that he carried when his first owner got him from the birdy mill he was hatched out of. The conditions were horrible, cages were zinc coated, etc. It was disgustin. He did recommend that early, less acute cases could be treated with the same holistic remedies listed above. Early detection is the key.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Bokka and Beeba have liver and kidney problems, you can tell why their poop. They are 100% "healthy" except that sometimes they will have WATERY poop. Like as though their kidneys have a hard time taking back in the water, and it can be bright green, meaning liver issues. We have found out that a very healthy diet of fresh veggies and sprouts and greens and goods and healthy pellets really help. We have been feeding flax seed for the past 3 months, and its been helping them so much :)

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
You should consider supplementing your bird's diet with milk thistle also. It is used often for liver problems. It's inexpensive and you can purchase it at any place that sells vitamins and supplements.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Couldn't agree more with all of the above. :)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Alex has fatty liver issues and we use dandelion and aloe detox from naturade.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
I vote for the Milk Thistle too. I have liver problems and was told by many people to take and my liver levels have gotten some better over the past few years. And it's an inexpensive way to go!
Good luck and hope all of the things mentioned will help.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Thank you all for the info going to read it now..def going to use milk thistle

dsmo

Meeting neighbors
what do you use for liver prob..would like to try a Holistic approach first before meds from vet..(milk thistle is what im thinking)this is for a Male Vos Ekie Thanks

Milk thistle seed should do the trick! I use it for my birds and it has helped a ton!!! You can get it at a health foods store and it is inexpensive. I would give about 10 seeds per day, hand feed so you know the bird is getting the seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.