• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liver health

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
:iagree:

I've really struggled giving meds b/c my boys hate that syringe. I need to work harder on getting them used to it... Inevitably, some day, you will have to administer medication so it's good to establish a method for it!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I knew I'd seen that somewhere. :) Looked and my bottle says approx 28 drops = 1mL

@Aggie you should find 1mL syringes if you're going to try it. You don't need to water it down, just put it on something he'll eat right away or if he'll let you squirt it right in his beak without a fuss that's easiest. However - none of mine will let me do that!

Yes, Peanut is big and probably a little heavy due to being lazy. We think he's a cross rather than one subspecies. Since he's a stray we'll never know. :) Mr. Spock is a Vos and he stays around 410 (very active). Tigger is SI and he is around 450 (not very active).
I'm a nurse so going to raid the supplies today for syringes. I have one atm from his NSAIDs though. Want to see if I can get something even smaller.

I think echo is getting on the lazy side tbh. He now flys as a means only but will play all day. Yesterday I was playing hide a seek with him so he had to fly around looking for me. I'm trying to get him to be more active now. Walking into the kitchen always helps...hes right at your tail then lol

Just really trying to improve his health now. I know the vet saI'd not to do anything but if those bloods end up worse im going to be so upset.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Since your baby is only 5 mo. old, it would serve you well to teach him to take anything and everything from a syringe right now. If he gets ill in the future him taking meds from a syringe will be invaluable.

You can buy syringes from several bird supply stores or get a few from your vet.
Yes my thoughts too!! But meds are so yucky he's like no way mum!!! We towel to get them down. He's not fussed afterwards as will sit on me and cuddle. Such a sooky bum lol

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Yes my thoughts too!! But meds are so yucky he's like no way mum!!! We towel to get them down. He's not fussed afterwards as will sit on me and cuddle. Such a sooky bum lol
For Peanut - being that it has been more important to get meds in than the actual method, the vet said crackers were ok. He LOVES cheeze-it's and goldfish crackers... I don't know why or where he discovered his love for them, but they work. So we break off enough of the cracker to hide the meds in and down it goes :)

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just want to update everyone. Liver tests came back perfect. Thank you @EkkieLuv for your recommendation of milk thistle. Think it did the trick.

He is however, a little low on calcium. Vet wants supplement once per week and more meat/protein. What thoughts fo people have or reccomendations?

20170623_112844.jpg
Echo getting his examination.

20170623_111701.jpg
Even after bloods, being poked and man handled he still thinks this AV is alright. Flys to him everytime.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I keep a mineral/calcium block in Jasper's cage and she chews on it. If your bird will use the calcium block, you should never have to worry about calcium levels. Here are some vegetables high in calcium;
  • Spinach.
  • Kale.
  • Okra.
  • Collards.
  • Soybeans.
  • White beans.
Meat is not the only source of protein and animal protein is not easily digested by a parrot. I feed tofu about once a week to increase protein intake and it is a complete protein. Tofu is, of course merely soy beans.

Here is a site that gives several veggies high in protein. 8 High-Protein Vegetables

BTW - he is a pretty boy and likes his vet - that's a good thing.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the liver results were normal. My 'tiels calcium is slightly low so I give him a small amount of Dean's supplement. Calcium Powder
Have to be careful with supplement because you don't want to give too much and then your bird becomes hypercalcemic (elevated blood calcium level). Check with the vet regarding the supplement.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I keep a mineral/calcium block in Jasper's cage and she chews on it. If your bird will use the calcium block, you should never have to worry about calcium levels. Here are some vegetables high in calcium;
  • Spinach.
  • Kale.
  • Okra.
  • Collards.
  • Soybeans.
  • White beans.
Meat is not the only source of protein and animal protein is not easily digested by a parrot. I feed tofu about once a week to increase protein intake and it is a complete protein. Tofu is, of course merely soy beans.

Here is a site that gives several veggies high in protein. 8 High-Protein Vegetables

BTW - he is a pretty boy and likes his vet - that's a good thing.
Thank you! I do love him.

Never thought of tofu!! Will give it a go. The block is such a great idea!! Will have to see how he goes as he can be very destructive with something so crumbly.

Thanks for your response!!

:bounce4:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Great that the liver results were normal. My 'tiels calcium is slightly low so I give him a small amount of Dean's supplement. Calcium Powder
Have to be careful with supplement because you don't want to give too much and then your bird becomes hypercalcemic (elevated blood calcium level). Check with the vet regarding the supplement.
I am a little reserved giving supplement for that reason. Like it can be not ingested at all or too much. Vet did give me a brand he wants me to use and said once per week.

How often do you give yours?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't give him the supplement daily. @2-3 times a week. Which supplement does the vet want you to use?

SquawkandHowl

Moving in
Real Name
Lily Kunning
It is great you are looking at possible causes. They could be genetic, environmental or dietary. Since you seem to have already covered dietary, perhaps look in the home for other reasons the liver could be taxed: body care or home cleaners? Fragranced items? Anything?

For gout, Yellow Dock is a fab herb (you use the root, so get powder) to mix in with the milk thistle. Perhaps you can add some into palm or coconut oil to make it more palatable?

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@SquawkandHowl thanks for advice!!

Whatever it was its has resolved with milk thistle :laughing12: I just give it to him occasionally now.

Calcium was a little low but we are taking a calcium & vit D once a week.

No further issues with feet. He is very very rough during play. Fell off the table with his toy...just thankful landed on carpet and he wasnt hurt.