• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liver disease

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hello.
So unfortunately Tweety seems to have liver disease.
I still had to do blood tests later but that is what the veterinary said when he saw pictures of Tweety and read my description.( because I don't have any vet in the region I had to contact with an online vet allocated in the closet city)
We will drive there to get his blood examined.
I feel guilty for not releasing earlier, I don't know what to do until then.

I thought his feathers colours because of a mutation but it appeared it's because he's been sick for so long since his first time home, I highly believe he got infected when he was in that poor pet store
My mom's scared if this disease can infect us, she said it's better to get close to my bird.
I feel hopeless.
If you have any suggestions or information about his disease, I'm desperately need to know as much as I can.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
I read his diagnosis wrong, it said p.b.f.d i guess.
Because he said it attack/ infect the liver I thought he meant liver disease
Both are trouble....

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I know for liver support it is common to use Milk thistle.
You can buy it on Morning Bird , they just restocked.
MILK THISTLE / DANDELION
If you decide to buy from Amazon, be absolutely sure it is NOT made with alcohol.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
I know for liver support it is common to use Milk thistle.
You can buy it on Morning Bird , they just restocked.
MILK THISTLE / DANDELION
If you decide to buy from Amazon, be absolutely sure it is NOT made with alcohol.
I will give it a try, but most of Morning bird products aren't available in my country

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I will give it a try, but most of Morning bird products aren't available in my country
you can buy from other sources, or possibly get from the vet.
Just be sure it is not made with alcohol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your mom need not worry - liver disease is rarely caused by infection and even if the bird's disease is cause by an infection it cannot be transmitted to humans.

Milk thistle is available from many sources. I have used this one from Amazon for 20 years and have been satisfied with it.

If your bird has been diagnosed with PBFD you have a much greater problem than liver disease . Liver disease can be treated and cured and easily controlled whereas PBFD has no treatment ad no cure. It is generally deadly, although, occasionally a bird will spontaneously reverse the disease and be cured.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
If your bird has been diagnosed with PBFD you have a much greater problem than liver disease . Liver disease can be treated and cured and easily controlled whereas PBFD has no treatment ad no cure. It is generally deadly, although, occasionally a bird will spontaneously reverse the disease and be cured.

Yeah unfortunately, the symptoms suggested my bird has PBFD. Until I got contact with any clinic that has PBFD test, I asked 4 vets and unfuourntly they don't have this test available
I will look again
I feel sorry for my bird, I've been taking care of him ever since he came to our house, I didn't know that his feathers condition can a disease not a mutation as I guessed.....