• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liver disease?

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Hello. As I was reading here today, I noticed a comment on feather color. My peach faced lovebird, Emerald, is 19 years old now as of May 1st. In the past few months I’ve noticed red feathers underneath her green feathers. Back of head, belly. I thought maybe it was a loss of melanin in her feathers from old age. But I read it can be a sign of liver disease. She seems her usual self, obviously not as active as when she was younger. She has a vet appt next Friday. Can I do something about it if it is liver related? Is it manageable? Are they in pain or suffering? Thank you for your thoughts. Just want to make sure my aging bird is ok.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Liver disease can be painful. Yes red feathers in love birds can be an indication of liver disease. What is her diet - is there much fat in it? Liver disease is treatable unless it has advanced too far.

Milk Thistle extract (non-alcoholic) is perhaps the most common medication for liver disease. Your vet may also prescribe other medications.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am also a fan of senior nutriberries for older birds as they contain supplements geared at helping older birds.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Liver disease can be painful. Yes red feathers in love birds can be an indication of liver disease. What is her diet - is there much fat in it? Liver disease is treatable unless it has advanced too far.

Milk Thistle extract (non-alcoholic) is perhaps the most common medication for liver disease. Your vet may also prescribe other medications.
She’s been on Harrison’s adult lifetime fine pellets for many years. She also likes peas, carrots, cooked quinoa, and of course, an occasional millet spray. It says Crude fat 6% on the Harrison’s label. Is that ok?
I did see that milk thistle was suggested and found Morning Bird milk thistle dandelion extract online. No alcohol. Just want her to be ok as she ages and not hurting. Is it true that a typical way birds pass away is they just have a “bird heart attack”?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
6% is fine, but as bad as she will hate it I'd cut down on her millet. There is nothing that you can do about her 19 years except love her even more.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At her vet appt, have them draw blood and do the lab work. Liver issues as well as kidney issues can be common in older birds. To find out how to help, the full extent of health issues needs to be known.
Old age isn’t a disease. But often diseases do develop over time. Once the diagnostics are done, a better picture on how to help/manage any diseases she may have will form.