• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liver Disease and Diet

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Im afraid they pick at it, but they have been getting more adventurous. Some days they pick the plate nearly clean. Others…just some dainty nibbling.

I don’t know if they would eat a tortilla, but if it’s pretty much lentils, I’ll give it a shot!
I think cooking it like the tortilla is like offering a thin bread but much healthier without any unnecessary ingredients. I just know when I prepared them alone they cooked down to a soft bean mess like refried beans. If I did that again I would think of other ingredients I could incorporate and press into a baking dish and try to make some cracker type bits. It’s all a crapshoot sometimes to see what they will eat. It took many tries to get half my flock to eat butternut, acorn squash and red beets cooked. I eat a little of everything I make for them to see how palatable it is.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I imagine the flavor to be pretty hum drum. It’s what you fill it with that would be yummy. You can use yellow lentils too and probably quite a few others. I have some red lentils so I will give it a try!
Yeah, I was thinking about it last night - for human food I’d probably add some garlic (because everything is better with garlic :xflove:) and maybe some lemon zest. I’d definitely add sesame seeds to both the human and the bird recipe, probably flax too.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The thing I like about lentils is that they take on the flavor of whatever they are cooked with (sorry about ending with a preposition, lol!).

Well, this means I'll need to find the blender I still have or go buy one. I don't have a cast iron skillet, but I do have a ceramic one.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Protein-enriched birdie bread (protein pancakes in human fitness circles)?

I'd use unflavoured and unsweetened whey protein isolate since it has little to no lactose to upset digestion, and its protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score (PDCAAS) can't be beat.