• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Live plants: ideas, opinions

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
As some of you know I have a live planter in my aviary with growing plants. I have it outside at the moment to allow it to air and get natural light.

Some on other platforms have raised concerns about mold, they literally said "this can be fun for other bird species but is not recomended for parrots". I have always been very careful to keep the soil aerated, clear of debris and I water sparingly. I also add ACV to the water to help prevent mold. I plan on experimenting with Grapefruit seed extract, a known edible antimicrobial.

My birds are all ground foraging species, lovebirds, budgies and chickens. I'm going to preface this next statement with this. I understand that "the wild" is not an ideal place, it is a place where birds struggle to survive. BUT I want to replicate a natural area where they can have access to live, edible plants.

I know people out there have outdoor aviarys with live plants. How do you all handle live plants in soil around your parrots. I'm looking for ideas to make my current practice safer.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You can put a thick layer of stones on top of the soil to keep the birds out of it however I personally would still be concerned about the problems soil could introduce- bacteria, mold and funguses are of concern. You do not need to see mold or fungus for it to be there and it occurs in some of the most hygienic of areas given the correct conditions.

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
You can put a thick layer of stones on top of the soil to keep the birds out of it however I personally would still be concerned about the problems soil could introduce- bacteria, mold and funguses are of concern. You do not need to see mold or fungus for it to be there and it occurs in some of the most hygienic of areas given the correct conditions.
Like living in the tropics... which is where I live.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My birds are all ground foraging species, lovebirds, budgies and chickens.
I'm looking for ideas to make my current practice safer.
I just want to check are these all housed together? I personally would not house chickens with budgies and lovebirds. Most of the time things will be fine, but if they aren't fine chickens can and will pick on a smaller animal. As example lets say a lovebird had an unexpected health problem and was in reach of the chickens, it could get very bad very fast. I adore chickens. I have my own lovely ladies, but I would never trust them around my small birds. Chickens are predators to smaller critters and it would be no fault of theirs to be tempted. A poor rat got caught in the fence once, and I am still traumatised by what they did to the poor thing.

As some of you know I have a live planter in my aviary with growing plants. I have it outside at the moment to allow it to air and get natural light.

Some on other platforms have raised concerns about mold, they literally said "this can be fun for other bird species but is not recomended for parrots". I have always been very careful to keep the soil aerated, clear of debris and I water sparingly. I also add ACV to the water to help prevent mold. I plan on experimenting with Grapefruit seed extract, a known edible antimicrobial.
In response to this question I am not 100% sure the best mode of managing moulds. However you may find information in the AZA care manual for keas helpful. It obviously isn't going to be a manual directly relevant to your species, but kea also dig in soil. On page 18, there is a subsection on "Substrates" maybe you will find some of this helpful in sorting out your aviary :) (link below)

Drakitty

Meeting neighbors
I just want to check are these all housed together? I personally would not house chickens with budgies and lovebirds. Most of the time things will be fine, but if they aren't fine chickens can and will pick on a smaller animal. As example lets say a lovebird had an unexpected health problem and was in reach of the chickens, it could get very bad very fast. I adore chickens. I have my own lovely ladies, but I would never trust them around my small birds. Chickens are predators to smaller critters and it would be no fault of theirs to be tempted. A poor rat got caught in the fence once, and I am still traumatised by what they did to the poor thing.

In response to this question I am not 100% sure the best mode of managing moulds. However you may find information in the AZA care manual for keas helpful. It obviously isn't going to be a manual directly relevant to your species, but kea also dig in soil. On page 18, there is a subsection on "Substrates" maybe you will find some of this helpful in sorting out your aviary :) (link below)

The lovebirds and budgies are housed together, the new budgie has her own cage in the aviary. Since shes new and can't fly very well we separate her when we aren't able to directly supervise. Whether this practice continues depends entirely on how she bonds with the flock.

As for the chickens we only have 2 and they are very docile breeds. They do interact with the little birds but again only when supervised.

And the kea info will be very helpful thank you!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
As for the chickens we only have 2 and they are very docile breeds. They do interact with the little birds but again only when supervised.
I am glad the info is helpful.

Docile chicken breeds are still chickens. I will share an ancedote. One of my silkie hens, Comet, is very docile. We adopted her from a family that called her "grandma" because she is calm. She is also narcoleptic and has some difficulties with hearing. She is an adorable and sweet bird who now lives with our other special hens like my love Starlight, who has sever scoliosis. They became patient and close friends. Starlight even with her scoliosis can run across the garden and peg down a lizard with ease. And Comet, when not in the grips of sleep, has chased and captured a range of insects, lizards and butterflies. Comet is the most docile chicken I have ever known, but she still hunts. And even though she is calm and shares her food with wild crested doves, I would never let her in the same space with my parrotlets or finches. Accepting that chickens can hunt or harm doesn't mean your chickens aren't the sweetest chickens on this good green earth. It is just part of being a chicken. I encourage you to reconsider letting them share the same space as your smaller birds, even if it is supervised. Not trying to be a downer either, I hope the message doesn't come off that way. :joyful: