• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

LittleFinchHelp

Littlefinchluv

Checking out the neighborhood
I am new here and I have a question. I have a new Zebra Finch, who is interesting. (And yes he is on quarantine away from my flock) I know males have orange cheeks. This Zebra Finch has ONLY ONE ORANGE CHEEK. Is this mutation rare? The other cheek is white and only has a partial tear line... it's more like a dot. He also had a nasty eye infection when I got him that is improving quickly with the help of Terramycin. Has anyone seen this before? If so did the bird have any behavioral issues? My little guy seemed defensive toward the other birds at the store. (I wasn't there to buy a bird but saw him and felt he needed help) I am worried about how to integrate him after he is healthy.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I cant help with your question but Welcome to the Forum :hello:

@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes I've seen this before, although it is rare. We'd love to see a photo!

Is he very young? If so he might not have fully molted yet, which would explain his two- sidedness.you can tell by looking at the beak; extremely young will still carry some black, and juvies are orange-beaked gradually becoming more red.

And if the ones in the cage were older they might have been picking on him which is why he'd be defensive. Really though pet stores put too many together, and zebras are somewhat aggressive so they need space! Even in a double flight I don't put more than 10, usually only 8.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I normally do a full treatment while they're in quarantine- treat for mites, worms, Protozoa. Do you do this?

To integrate with your flock, completely rearrange the cage on the day you put him in, and do it later in the day.

:welcomeflag:

Littlefinchluv

Checking out the neighborhood
IMG_20161207_102520290.jpg IMG_20161207_102502440.jpg Thanks for the post! He has orange legs and an orange beak, so I don't think he's all that young. I think maybe because he was practically blind for awhile, he is very defensive of his right side. It was so awful at first, I thought he had no eye at all! Poor guy. He looked like a rough old pirate. That's why I named him jack.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's a cutie. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Poor thing! I'm glad you're helping him. He is realllly cute! He is pied, that's why you're seeing some white.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welave:Jack is a cutie!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator