• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little noises

pingu022

Moving in
Real Name
Salai
Hi everyone! I have got a two months(breeder mentioned that's his age) old baby sun (or jenday) conure a week back. He is hand fed and i was instructed to give formula morning and evening. (Not sure of the gender but I use he). When I open the cage he jumps to my lap and makes small squeaking noises like a dolphin would. What is the meaning of these noises? Is he uncomfortable? (Video link attached)
Also when he is in my lap he goes around and bites the dress. If I bring my finger to pet him he bites ( or nibbles not sure of the difference, but the bites are not painful). Does that mean he is hungry?
Sometimes he bites my finger hard and simultaneously flaps his wings harddddd..is this a sign of anger or he is frightened?
I have a 2 ft * 1.5 ft * 2 ft cage. He has a swing, a ladder, a hanging wood chew toy and a perch. There are cups with nuts (sunflower, pumpkin) and water. He chews the nuts when inside the cage. Not sure how much he eats as throws a lot down. I give him apple slices (width of the thumb) and one inch long corn on cob.
Should I offer pallets? Which is a good brand? (I m in India, so would be great if Indian brands are mentioned) Should he be weaned off formula? If so how to do it?
Please someone help.

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@Laurie @BrianB breed birds so they know more about weaning than me, but I can help with the pellets. I use Roudybush, but it depends on the bird Harrisons is good too. I believe they both ship to India. :D

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Not sure but I’m inclined to say begging for food with the little wing flips

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks and sounds like begging for food. If the bird is only 2 months old I'm not sure it would be fully weaned yet so maybe increase the amount of hand feeding. Instead of just morning and evening, offer a little during the middle of the day - maybe half of what you feed at the other times. Babies tell you when they are weaning because they start to refuse the formula. As soon as they start nibbling on things I offer chopped veggies and pellets as well as a shallow dish of water. You should be able to find good quality pellets from several manufacturers. Roudybush, Harrisons, ZuPreem may be available there for you.

pingu022

Moving in
Real Name
Salai
@Laurie @BrianB breed birds so they know more about weaning than me, but I can help with the pellets. I use Roudybush, but it depends on the bird Harrisons is good too. I believe they both ship to India. :D
Oh thank you :) will check out the brands mentioned :)

pingu022

Moving in
Real Name
Salai
It looks and sounds like begging for food. If the bird is only 2 months old I'm not sure it would be fully weaned yet so maybe increase the amount of hand feeding. Instead of just morning and evening, offer a little during the middle of the day - maybe half of what you feed at the other times. Babies tell you when they are weaning because they start to refuse the formula. As soon as they start nibbling on things I offer chopped veggies and pellets as well as a shallow dish of water. You should be able to find good quality pellets from several manufacturers. Roudybush, Harrisons, ZuPreem may be available there for you.
Ok will try it out. Thank you :)

pingu022

Moving in
Real Name
Salai
Ok will try it out. Thank you :)
Hi i fed him today and he still makes such noises. 12 ml formula is what the breeder said and i gave him. Tried giving some more but he shook away from the syringe. This is him after food. The crop seems full to me. Or should I give him some more? He makes these noises and tries to hide under my elbow. Am i stressing him out?

Attachments