• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Miss Hormones

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's that time of year again. I need to shorten Gigi's day and give her plenty of sleep. She is incredibly resource protective, chasing me to each opening of her food entrances, chortling non-stop and not in a good way. Today she wanted the blanket on my lap so she charged at me with her beak open. It's hard not to laugh. I know Gigi, there are potential nesting sites all around. But apparently my shoulder isn't one of them? OK, hop on. Otherwise, I'll keep my distance.

1584392282096.jpeg

Last edited:

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
haha, just last night I was thinking that about Blueberry: happy he's not a macaw! as he's going through a very nippy stage at the moment, after the cage lights are out but room lights still on. He chases me to the food dishes and pinches me harder than Sprite and Jellybean put together. But, we'll get through it, still getting to know each other and figuring out the rules. I stil think all my boys need a Gigi play date :)

-NG

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

clarajane

Moving in
Real Name
Clara
It's that time of year again. I need to shorten Gigi's day and give her plenty of sleep. She is incredibly resource protective, chasing me to each opening of her food entrances, chortling non-stop and not in a good way. Today she wanted the blanket on my lap so she charged at me with her beak open. It's hard not to laugh. I know Gigi, there are potential nesting sites all around. But apparently my shoulder isn't one of them? OK, hop on. Otherwise, I'll keep my distance.

View attachment 331125
What a cutie! Pardon me as I'm new to linnie's and still learning so much. Is the constant 'chortling,' a hormonal behavior? My first linnie constantly, I mean every five seconds, makes a little "eert," noise that changes in tone/loudness depending on if something upsets him or if I approach him (it gets more gentle and sweet sounding). There is rarely a moment when he's awake that he's completely quiet. He's been "eerting," as long as we've had him, over a year.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Oh doesn’t she just look ferocious!! :laugh:
I’m sorry she is so cranky, all of mine are right now too. I can see why it’s hard not to laugh though, her angry face is ADORABLE :swoon:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a cutie! Pardon me as I'm new to linnie's and still learning so much. Is the constant 'chortling,' a hormonal behavior? My first linnie constantly, I mean every five seconds, makes a little "eert," noise that changes in tone/loudness depending on if something upsets him or if I approach him (it gets more gentle and sweet sounding). There is rarely a moment when he's awake that he's completely quiet. He's been "eerting," as long as we've had him, over a year.
Welcome!

Gigi's "chortle" is medium loud and constant. She might do it if I'm rearranging her toys or just touching something that belongs to her. So I'm thinking hormonal, resource protective. I've learned it's not a good sound, despite how pretty it is. Another mad sound is really quiet. It's a teeny click-click-click that she also uses to warn me, like if she sees my hands too close. Then the worst mad sound is when she loudly shrieks, often when flying at my face. That happens most often when I clean poop off her boings/perches with a tissue or towel. It sounds awful, but she never holds a grudge! Within minutes she's back on my lap or shoulder. She's such a loving bird. I try very hard to avoid making her mad and hormonal.

Otherwise she's pretty quiet, just some beeps and buzzes, trick whistles and occasional contact calls.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I haven't been able to decipher my linnies' chortle. One will start and the other will join in, but I really can't figure out what triggers it.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't been able to decipher my linnies' chortle. One will start and the other will join in, but I really can't figure out what triggers it.
I just have a solo to figure out. You have a whole orchestra with your 4. :)