• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little birds using harnesses

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I was wondering what everybody's experience using harnesses on little birds (budgies, lovies, parrotlets, etc.) is. As well as what harness brand do you recommend. Once the weather warms up a bit I would like to take my lovie outside for fresh air and a bit of exercise. Ideally I would want to do free flying but I dont know any trainers in my area and there are a lot of birds of prey and I think its better to fly with other birds not just herself especially because shes so small.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I just saw a very cute picture in @Beasley 's foster family thread. I bet she can at least tell you how blue is doing with it.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Those are just the cutest lil birdie suits!!!:joyful:
I’d love to try to get my birbs on board with this. I took mine out in their carrier last summer, but I definitely think this would be more fun for them. The only problem is our property is surrounded by woods on 2 sides and I’d be terrified my lil nuggets were being stalked the entire time. I could always take them to a park or somewhere a bit more “open” though.
The good news is I have a few months to start researching.

Great thread! And thanks for the link @Mizzely :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I had no idea that little birds could be harness trained or that harnesses existed for them. Where can I learn more about this?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I use the Avianweb harness for my fids as well. Blue is a little parakeet I’m currently harness training. The design is like a tunic that goes over the head and has a belt around the middle that goes beneath the wings. I like the head loop and find it much easier to get on than the diaper/flight suit design.

Blue is doing great and will let me secure the harness :lol: I need some practice getting the belt tight enough so that he can’t get his legs into it, but he’s doing great! I’m also working with my IRN and we’re still at step one; get the loop over his head without him chewing it to shreds. It’s a lot of distraction, rewarding, and repetition.

I also use this little trick to help them get comfortable with having the harness put over their heads. Once they’re comfortable with pushing their heads through the circle, then I begin to incorporate the harness loop with the same “put your head in there” phrase.

berries

Strolling the yard
I use the avian fashions flight suits predominantly. It’s probably a bit more uncomfortable for them than the avianweb and other similar shaped harnesses but the poop catcher element makes them much more welcome wherever we go. That’s is why I use them. But if you just want to take yours outside I would suggest something with minimal coverage. I imagine the extra material of the flightsuit would make it more awkward to move for smaller birds. Whatever you go with most brands do have all the sizes you can think of.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Many people do, yes :)
Awesome. I got some harnesses a while back without looking into them enough and they're just too complicated to work with. At least on a yet untrained bird. But these look perfect, easy to put on, and the design should work for Damien too. :thumbsup: Thanks!!

berries

Strolling the yard
Would it be safe to take your birds outdoors with a harness like that?
The tiel in my profile picture is wearing one. They sell leashes/lanyards seprately that attach to the suit with velcro. The velcro part gets sandwiched between each side of the suit closure. Its very secure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ideally I would want to do free flying but I dont know any trainers in my area and there are a lot of birds of prey and I think its better to fly with other birds not just herself especially because shes so small.
Lovebirds are not candidates for free flying. Not because they are small, more because they are stubborn. They will fly up a tree and simply refuse to come back because they don´t want to. Even the best trained lovie can get like that. Or worse, they just fly off and don´t look back.

I used a little harness for one of my birds (who had no partner) and we went out climbing mountains. I would always take the bag, so I could put him in when hawks were flying over.
They key is to be patient.

44387834_10155476059572024_5235809981319610368_n.jpg 19apr.jpg

Maybe this video will help, it is for a certain brand of harness, but there are some good tips for how to condition your bird: