• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Litter box hacks?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So, I'm adopting Monaco the eclectus mid October. She is 19, and has always been clipped, and will likely use the floor to traverse distance. I don't expect she'll be unsupervised or have access to Einstein's litter box, but accidents are always possible. So here's my dilemma.

Fairly open floor plan means three main rooms, kitchen is out, bathroom is out (this is important for Einstein) which leaves the bedroom or the living room to put his box. I'm not worried about the litter or the smell (swheat scoop, my chickens have broken the bags open to eat it before, and I'm always surprised that it doesn't smell like anything) but I can't think of a way to leave access for Einstein and make it impossible or difficult for Monaco at the same time.

What do you guys with cats do? And can I make it unappealing for Monaco if I can't modify access? I'm already rearranging the furniture to add trees and perches and maybe a bird walk/bridge, so I will take any suggestions you guys have.

Thanks in advance. Everyone here has been so helpful.

Kelly on behalf of Monaco

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
which leaves the bedroom or the living room to put his box.
Hi Kelly, Einstein and Monaco should have separated living areas. A predator-prey relationship is ill advised. Being that at the very least you will need a room with a closed door for Einstein to nap while Monaco is exercising, it sounds like your only choice is the bedroom.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My litter box is not in the same room as my bird, and never has been in the 8 years and 4 homes I've been in!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sound advice, guys. Do you do anything extra, like those cabinets/bench type pieces of furniture that the box sits inside?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sound advice, guys. Do you do anything extra, like those cabinets/bench type pieces of furniture that the box sits inside?

No, my cat refuses to use any sort of covered litter box so I can't use them or she will pee elsewhere. It can be a problem for a lot of cats actually, so mine is not unique!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I keep our box in my master bath.

I wpuld for sure keep yours nowhere near the bird. As for odor, I switched to Tidy Cats clear and free unscented lightweight scoopable. It is the BEST litter I have ever used in 40 years of cat keeping.

Zero odor, very easy to scoop this stuff is a miracle! There are tiny black pieces of activated carbon mixed in.

And I have 2 cats using the same box. No odor ever.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have three cats, four boxes, and my birds have a bedroom to themselves. They primarily get their exercise in the bird room, so I can shut the door and keep my kitten out. My other two cats are used to the birds, not that I'd ever actually trust them, but they aren't very interested in them. The kitten, however..... I have the litter boxes in a totally different area.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh and I second no enclosed litter boxes. I also had a cat once who would pee in front of it if it had a cover. They're finicky. And when you consider how strong their sense of smell is... I imagine it's kind of like a latrine in summer so I can't really blame them. :depressed: