• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

List of important training topics

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hmm good point. I had not considered medication. I guess I assumed if the need arose, I would take my vets recommendations. As for the nails, I originally grouped that in with towel training, but I think that can go one step further. Pretend nail and beak trims while in towel. I'm not suggesting stressing the bird out, but once they are comfortable with the towel, then work on say playing with the feet and beak a bit and build up to it. I'll add those to the list. Good suggestions
I meant that you can train the bird to take meds and clip nails without the need for a towel.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
^^This! My two both let me hold them in my hand on their back and clip their nails! Even my girl who doesn't really like to be scratched, and who refuses to let me touch her wings, will let me clip her nails!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Ha, I had never actually considered the prospect of not having to use a towel. I guess I just assumed it would always be a fight. Good to know. This method would of course be ideal to reduce stress, but towel training will still be important for other procedures and for different stages of life I am sure. Thanks!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Body language is definitely an area that requires more research on my part, but I also recognize will require actual experience with not just "a" bird, but "my" bird which is obviously not
Ha, I had never actually considered the prospect of not having to use a towel. I guess I just assumed it would always be a fight. Good to know. This method would of course be ideal to reduce stress, but towel training will still be important for other procedures and for different stages of life I am sure. Thanks!
Playing with a towel and getting you bird comfortable with a towel is so important. I have yet to do it but my one bird who is at least comfortable being near a towel is so much more calm when I do towel her. She no struggling or elevated heart rate. I don't think she likes it per say but she tolerates it so much better then the others who I am still working on.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
One of my birds also tolerates the towel very well, and the other three are okay with it. They don't try to frantically get away, but they don't like it either. Two of my birds will play with the towel after.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Added two other good topics. Socialization and desensitization.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Currently retraining JoJo to fly to a wiffle ball, fetch it and drop it in my hand. He was an expert at it but he got bored and I didn't have a new training prepared. Right now he grabs the ball ihold out to him and drops it in my waiting hand. Tonight he will be dropping it in a dish.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Any last comments/suggestions or should I call this list essentially complete for now?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Somehow I forgot to add house training to the list...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Atomiklan
Thank you for compliling this list.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Cleaning out my host server. The link I posted long ago at the beginning of this thread should now be dead, but don't worry, I have preserved an image of the original contents of that link here for archival purposes now that this discussion should be dead. Thanks

Capture.PNG