• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

List of Household Appliances that are Bird Safe

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I noticed that we have many threads and stickies of items that are not bird safe. Well I thought we should have one of household appliances that are bird safe. These items have to be items that have been called and verified with the manufacturer that it is indeed bird safe. I thought this list would be great for any new members that join and also for our established members that would like to know what options they have as far as appliances go. These could be anything from food steamers, rice cookers, blow dryers etc.

What should be posted about item:

1)Manufacturer
2)Name of Item
3)Model Number
4)Picture of Item (If Available)
5)Where it is Available for Purchase

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I will go first by staying this food Steamer.

Manufacturer: Black and Decker
Name: Steamer and Rice Cooker
Model Number: HS1150
Availability: It is available though Amazon or Kohls.

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Manufacturer: Sallys
Name: GVP Hair Straightener
Model Number: SBS-264849

Availability: It is available at any Sally Beauty Supply Store.

As an extra saftely precaution I use this in another room away from Squeeky. I know I am paranoid lol.

Attachments

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Manufacturer: CONAIR
Name: INFINITI HAIR DRYER
Model Number: 217
Availability: CONAIR, AMAZON, DRUGSTORE, and WALMART (.COM)
conairinfiniti.jpg

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I love my induction cook top.
They are safe because they don't even get hot.

I covered up two of the elements of my regular stove and put in on top.
It is incredibly fast, and heats up only the pot and its content. You put the frying pan on the top turn it on, put oil in and start cooking. No waiting.

One drawback: you can only use cookware that's magnetic. I walk around with a magnet at rummage sales, because the old stainless steel pots and pans are magnetic. Cast iron works too.
But the drawback is also an advantage: My birds could sit on it, somebody could turn on the top, and nothing would happen. They are not magnetic.:hehe:

It has a timer, up to 90 minutes and power levels from 1 to 10.

You have to shop around. I paid 150 $ for mine and that's expensive. Sometimes you can find them for under 100 $, and that includes a pot or frying pan.

It is also very portable. It weighs maybe 4 pounds. It's plastic and feels flimsy. But I had it for over a year and use it all the time. The white rings on the top have worn off a bit, as you can see in the picture, but it works just fine.

Sigrid

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
I think this is an AWESOME idea! However, we might want to add the year to the information.

Many times companies change models or whats in/on an item without changing the model number. Wouldn't want anyone picking something thing up after seeing it on a safe list... only to have it no longer be safe.

Regardless... cool. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I think this is an AWESOME idea! However, we might want to add the year to the information.

Many times companies change models or whats in/on an item without changing the model number. Wouldn't want anyone picking something thing up after seeing it on a safe list... only to have it no longer be safe.

Regardless... cool. :)
This is a good idea. Should we add the year that it was manufactured or the year that we purchased it?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Loving this thread!!

Ginger

deehayston

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dee Hayston
I was recently given a wonderful gift....one of the Amish, fireplace type heaters. With oil and other fossil fuels increasing, sometimes daily in price, alternative methods where electric costs are much lower can help any family to stay warm safely and carry less expense throughout the cold, winter months. Not only do these have built in safety devices (read instructions to use safely) I also suggest that a fireproof base be used when placing the unit on any type of floor, especially carpet to maintain stability. This can simply be a piece of firesafe material which has hard surface to keep unit level and should be at least 2" larger all around than the unit itself. I did discuss this with the manufacturers and they are going to add to their list of "helpful hints".
I called in July of 2010 to make sure that there was no "teflon" in the unit and/or other harmful materials which would cause the unit to emit fumes. I was assured there were not! They did suggest, as they do with the safe, oil filled radiator units that the unit be put on high in a room away from pets simply because when new, they do emit an odor which burns off in about an hour! The front of the unit does become hot, so I will be using a fireplace grate in front of my unit (because of my little man, Cisco the Chihuhua who is nosey rosey! LOL)

Name and Manufacturer: Heat Surge/Fireless Flame
Welcome To The Heat Surge Website
Model: one model with many add on's and/or can purchase without/also fireplace unit may be used as insert into existing fireplace (sized correctly) without mantle etc.
Availability: Click on STORE Locator at site

http://forums.avianavenue.com/fireplaces.cfm

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
Great deal on induction cooktop!

I posted information about the benefits of induction cooking in post 6 above.
The one drawback is that the tops are expensive.
But sometimes, there are deals. Costco in Canada has this cooktop for sale right now for 75 $ plus tax.

I paid 150 $ for my other one, and that did not include the pot.
Costco only has these for a limited time.
I don't know if something similar is available in the US, but it is worth checking.
Sigrid

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cool thread. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I posted information about the benefits of induction cooking in post 6 above.
The one drawback is that the tops are expensive.
But sometimes, there are deals. Costco in Canada has this cooktop for sale right now for 75 $ plus tax.

I paid 150 $ for my other one, and that did not include the pot.
Costco only has these for a limited time.
I don't know if something similar is available in the US, but it is worth checking.
Sigrid
Wow looks nice! I have never used one of these?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I was in the market for a slow cooker and emailed 4 different companies (Crock Pot, Hamilton Beach, Rival, West Bend) about whether or not their crock pots contained Teflon.

This is the email that I sent to them:

I am contacting you because I am planning on purchasing a slow cooker in the near future. I need to know which one of your slow cookers DO NOT contain Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). I own a bird and must only use kitchen items free of that . I know the inner bowl on most of them is stone wear but I would like to make sure the mechanisms inside also does not contain any. I am part of a well know bird forum called Avian Avenue and many of us had the same question. We would like to find out from the engineers which ones would be safe to use and Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) Free. Thanks!!

I spoke to Crock Pot over the phone. They were really nice and told me that they didn't use Teflon in any of the products. They also told me that the stone wear was made out of minerals, vitamins, and clays, and that the glaze they use to coat it doesn't release any toxins while being heated. So far they get brownie points for being the first to get back to me by phone.

This is the email from Crockpot:
Dear Miriam,

Thank you for contacting Crock-Pot, a brand of Jarden Consumer Solutions.

I would be more than happy to assist you today. The glaze in the stoneware is made of silica flour, clay, feldspar, something called frit , and a few minerals. These are ground up mixed, in specific quantities, with water. The resulting slurry is sprayed onto the pot (or the pot is dipped in it) and it is fired in the kiln at or around 1200-1600 degrees. It all melts together on the outside of the pot and basically turns into a type of glass. The FDA specifies allowable amounts of lead, cadmium and other substances. All of the glazes that we use meet or exceed FDA requirements.

The rest of the unit is made of stainless steel, and plastic. Hopefully this information was helpful to you and your bird. I apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and are happy to help if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Jarden Consumer Solutions
www.crock-pot.com

Hamilton Beach responded with:
This is the response I got from Hamilton Beach:

Dear Miriam

Thank you for contacting Hamilton Beach Brands, Inc. I really do understand your concern as of why you need to know. I am very happy to say that are slow cookers are not made of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)

If you any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Consumer Affairs

Last edited:

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Just wanted to add that I have the Conair model 185...and love it. I dry the birds a little bit because they hate going back to their cage super dripping wet. Phoenix will actually get so mad at me, he will still be mad the next day...lol.

azcowgirl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
we just started our family of birds, and i did find out that all of pampered chief products are safe for birds