• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Liquidy Poo

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ebenhard's last 4 poos have just been wet urates. She is still drinking and eating. Should I be concerned?
She's on Metacam and Enrofloxacin.

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Metacam can cause loose movements. Read this about Enrofloxacin:

Side effects
  • Birds' systems may be particularly vulnerable to infections from bacteria that isn't vulnerable to Baytril, or yeast infections after being dosed with Baytril, particularly if Baytril is given for a longer time. To minimize the risk, try to maintain sanitary conditions & to give Baytril for the minimum time needed to be fully effective. You may need to follow up with antibiotic or anti-fungal medicine if problems develop afterward.
  • Because it is very powerful, Baytril can kill off significant numbers of "good bacteria" that normally fight harmful organisms in birds' digestive tracts, although it is said to have less of this effect than many other of the powerful antibiotics. To minimize risk:
    • Try to maintain sanitary conditions.
    • Give Baytril for the minimum time needed for sufficient effectiveness.
    • Give birds' probiotics, such as unflavored yogurt, buttermilk, or a probiotic supplement to re-establish good bacteria. You could try feeding probiotics halfway between Baytril dosings to try to fight the growth of bad bacteria during treatment (though the probiotics will be killed off at the next Baytril dosing), &/or give probiotics after finishing all Baytril dosings.
    • You may need to follow up with a different antibiotic if new bacterial problems develop after Baytril treatments.
    • If a fungal condition develops, it may be necessary to give an antifungal such as Nystatin, or you might try Oxine if timed to not conflict too much with probiotics. Raw, unfiltered cider vinegar has anti-fungal properties & may help, as well (but do NOT combine it with Oxine as the acid might hazardously activate Oxine).
  • Baytril may have some negative effects on the development of young birds.
  • There are conflicting reports about whether Baytril has negative side effects on a chicken's kidneys, the liver or blood.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
So it is probably just Metacam? Will she be okay, with no long-term effects?
She did miss her morning meds, but the doc said that would be okay. She pooped a wet one before getting her evening meds, and has continued to poop them.

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
  • Give birds' probiotics, such as unflavored yogurt, buttermilk, or a probiotic supplement to re-establish good bacteria. You could try feeding probiotics halfway between Baytril dosings to try to fight the growth of bad bacteria during treatment (though the probiotics will be killed off at the next Baytril dosing), &/or give probiotics after finishing all Baytril do sings.
I am just suggesting you give her something such as yogurt . I really don't know. Hopefully everything will be okay. :hug4:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Now she's pooped a total of 6 wet ones.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Otherwise she is quite well. Eating, drinking, preening. She even started attacking her toy for the first time since her incident. :)
Hopefully it will resolve over night. Thanks!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It might be the meds. Pete gets a bit of diarrhea and gas from antibiotics.

I never noticed any effects on him from Metacam though, but I'm sure it can affect their digestive tract.

If you see anything else that concerns you, give your vet a call and ask :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
If it hasn't resolved by tomorrow, I'll give them a call.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4: :dance4: :dance4:
Walked back in my room to find it had completely resolved. No in-between good and bad poops, just good ones!! She goes in on Tuesday, so I'll run it by them then. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
She continued to poop normally. A few minutes ago she had a bite to eat, then rested. :)
Thanks! :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
All of my vets will return calls during their off hours/days :) So if it happens to be Saturday night, and I know they aren't open again until Monday, I know I can call and ask if I'm worried I might have an emergency and ask them what I should do. When you go in Tuesday you might want to ask if they return calls during the times they are closed for worried animal guardians.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
All of my vets will return calls during their off hours/days :) So if it happens to be Saturday night, and I know they aren't open again until Monday, I know I can call and ask if I'm worried I might have an emergency and ask them what I should do. When you go in Tuesday you might want to ask if they return calls during the times they are closed for worried animal guardians.
I go to cornell Exotics Service. They typically have someone on call 24/7. So if someone had a seizure, or trouble breathing, I could always rush them in. Thanks for caring!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
All remains well!!
Ebenhard HATES her cast. Cmes off Tuesday or Wednesday! Right now she is so mad!! :extremeanger: