• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Liquid Echinacea Supplement

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here gives their birds echinacea supplement in liquid form?

I was advised by my vet that Preeno should take it. She just mentioned to get one that is alcohol-free.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Nope, my AV has never mentioned it and I have never heard of anyone here using it so I never even considered it. Responding here more so I can get whatever information you are about to be given ;):D

clarousel

Nope, my AV has never mentioned it and I have never heard of anyone here using it so I never even considered it. Responding here more so I can get whatever information you are about to be given ;):D
Yeah I think she recommended it to boost Preeno's general well-being! I may get in touch with her to clarify what exactly I should get.

I searched 'echinacea' in the forum and seems like it's in some brands of pellets?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Really? Which pellets? Interesting stuff.

clarousel

Yes the Harrisons has corn as the first ingredient also but the other ingredients and the way the pellets are processed is why I buy them. Did you read the ingredients list for the Goldenfeast? I think it tops all other foods. I don't know why more people are not feeding this food to birds. It always seems to be Roudybush and Zupreem.

Ingredients
Quinoa, organic roasted Soybeans, par boiled brown Rice & Organic long grain brown Rice, raw Almonds, dehydrated and freeze dried vegetables composed of Carrots, sweet garden Peas, Parsley, green Beans, Spinach, Beets-non sugar beet variety and Cabbage. Cranberries, shelled Walnuts, natural organic Agavi sweetener, organic Barley, organic Alfafa, freeze dried Banana powder, organic hulled proso Millet & white proso Millet, organic Flax seed, organic Spelt, organic Rye, Sesame seed, Domestic grown Apples, dehydrated Honey, organic Chia seed, organic Kamut, organic Tricale, organic Amaranth, stabilized hulled Oats, Sunflower Kernels, organic Spinach, Fenugreek, freeze dried Raspberries, Hemp seed, organic Timothy, Ginger, Garlic, Star Anise seed, Cinnamon, Fennel seed, Acidopholus, dehydrated whole Eggs, Bee Pollen, Wheatberries, organic Echinacea powder, Cilantro, organic Red Clover Leaf powder & organic Spinach, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, and dried Bifidobacterium.
Seems like it's Goldenfeast

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've only ever seen it in Goldenfeast which is now discontinued as far as I'm aware.

I've never fed it and never had a reason to, but if it tickles your fancy it won't hurt.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@clarousel

They used the liquid format it in puerto rico at the clinic, but they discontinued use because it increased respiratory systems in some of the birds and seemed to cause digestive upset in many of them. There were multiple theories, but many of them were based on the dosage amount (which there was no consensus on amount admisitered or method- orally or on food).

However, I do recommend it as fresh flowers were the dosage is much lower and birds can self-medicate. Or you can even dry the flowers (pesticide free) and use them in foraging or add to a pellet mixture. I always recommend as many fresh flowers and herbs as possible- it helps physically and emotionally.

tziporiah

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Seems like it's Goldenfeast
my birds have been on zupreem for years and I would like to take them off but I'm having trouble finding something they like right now one of them likes pretty bird in the other likes tops and pretty bird. Does Harrison's have menadione in it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
my birds have been on zupreem for years and I would like to take them off but I'm having trouble finding something they like right now one of them likes pretty bird in the other likes tops and pretty bird. Does Harrison's have menadione in it
I have a list of Pellets and ingredients here: Pellets for Parrots

I do not see menadione as an ingredient

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@clarousel
I just noticed you are in Singapore- I was HK- but spent time in Singapore, Vietnam, Philipines, India, etc

The idea is often roughly the same: I do believe is homeopathic medicine, I do believe in “Eastern Medicine”, Ying and Yang, Qi, etc. But much of it has side effects that can be determent as they have not been studied nearly enough. As you know (or have probably read), echinacea is only recommended for humans for 20 days, or liver issues could be present (by the clinics, you know which I speak of)- I cant imagine an unknown dosage, for an extended period in parrots (versus a human).

But do clarify with your vet as I would be curious to what they recommended, I just worry about the dosage.
Edit: I do remember a flower market on Orchord road? maybe make friends with someone who is not importing, and rather a grower from nearby- you can obtain seeds and grow them on your balcony? It would be rewarding for both of you :) Or super easy, go to the bonatic gardens, I know I saw it there. Ask for the dead buds.

Last edited:

clarousel

@clarousel
I just noticed you are in Singapore- I was HK- but spent time in Singapore, Vietnam, Philipines, India, etc

The idea is often roughly the same: I do believe is homeopathic medicine, I do believe in “Eastern Medicine”, Ying and Yang, Qi, etc. But much of it has side effects that can be determent as they have not been studied nearly enough. As you know (or have probably read), echinacea is only recommended for humans for 20 days, or liver issues could be present (by the clinics, you know which I speak of)- I cant imagine an unknown dosage, for an extended period in parrots (versus a human).

But do clarify with your vet as I would be curious to what they recommended, I just worry about the dosage.
Edit: I do remember a flower market on Orchord road? maybe make friends with someone who is not importing, and rather a grower from nearby- you can obtain seeds and grow them on your balcony? It would be rewarding for both of you :) Or super easy, go to the bonatic gardens, I know I saw it there. Ask for the dead buds.
Oh I sse! My vet advised one drop a day for 2 weeks then just one drop a week. I'll clarify with her.

The flowers do sound like a safer and more natural way to go though. Now that you've mentioned they can grow in this climate, I'll look into seeds. My dad has amazingly green thumbs so perhaps he can do the planting haha!

In the meantime, would it be safe to buy them from a florist?

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure about where you are but here florists put all kinds of crazy stuff in the water for their flowers and also spray all kinds of funky stuff on them too.
You will want to find out if they’re safe for human consumption.

clarousel

Not sure about where you are but here florists put all kinds of crazy stuff in the water for their flowers and also spray all kinds of funky stuff on them too.
That's what I thought too urgh!

I guess this isn't urgent at the moment so I'll look into the seeds and growing them for now.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Oh I sse! My vet advised one drop a day for 2 weeks then just one drop a week. I'll clarify with her.

The flowers do sound like a safer and more natural way to go though. Now that you've mentioned they can grow in this climate, I'll look into seeds. My dad has amazingly green thumbs so perhaps he can do the planting haha!

In the meantime, would it be safe to buy them from a florist?
I would not- you and I both know where those flowers come from...

clarousel

@clarousel

They used the liquid format it in puerto rico at the clinic, but they discontinued use because it increased respiratory systems in some of the birds and seemed to cause digestive upset in many of them. There were multiple theories, but many of them were based on the dosage amount (which there was no consensus on amount admisitered or method- orally or on food).

However, I do recommend it as fresh flowers were the dosage is much lower and birds can self-medicate. Or you can even dry the flowers (pesticide free) and use them in foraging or add to a pellet mixture. I always recommend as many fresh flowers and herbs as possible- it helps physically and emotionally.
If offering as fresh flowers, do I offer the entire flower? Can the stalks be offered too?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
It depends on the flower. Make sure they are on the 'safe' list. For example: Nasturtium I give the leaves and the flowers, but roses I only give the top. Things like Dandiloin, I just pull it out of the ground, rinse and tie it to a perch as in the case of dandelion it is nutritious and has shown to have medicinal properties.

clarousel

It depends on the flower. Make sure they are on the 'safe' list. For example: Nasturtium I give the leaves and the flowers, but roses I only give the top. Things like Dandiloin, I just pull it out of the ground, rinse and tie it to a perch as in the case of dandelion it is nutritious and has shown to have medicinal properties.
Ah sorry I should've been specific! I meant the Echinacea flowers. I'm guessing it will be the same as Dandelion?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Shezbug , we can tell your not a florist!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
  • Haha
Reactions: Ali