• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lion's Mane Mushroom - safe?

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Joined
1/5/22
Messages
81
Location
Fennville, MI
Real Name
Vernon
I have a question about Lions Mane Mushrooms. There is a gal on the Lovebird forums on Facebook that may have a brain injured Lovebird. Would just a tiny bit of Lion's Mane mushroom be ok? Somewhere I had heard that mushrooms are a no no for parrots. If they are some toxic or psychedelic kind I could understand, but medicinal mushrooms like Lions' Mane (good for Nerve Growth Factor) improvement, as well as Reishi or some of the other commonly used types of mushrooms used for more medicinal purposes.
Safe?
 

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Joined
1/5/22
Messages
81
Location
Fennville, MI
Real Name
Vernon
I might add.....

I was curious as to the "why" on mushrooms and found 2 links talking about mushrooms and the "why" they might be avoided for parrots, and on this one link, it does talk about what's in a mushroom that can be troublesome. However, as one site pointed out "
Parrots can eat button, cremini, portobello, and porcini mushrooms. These types of mushrooms must be boiled to remove any harmful toxins before consumption. NEVER feed a parrot raw or wild mushrooms.


These mushrooms have low amounts of agaritine and hydrazine and don’t contain formaldehyde. Once thoroughly cooked, mushrooms are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin B, copper, and potassium."
This info was found here: Are Mushrooms Safe For Parrots? [Cooked vs. Raw] — All About Parrots and another link I found talking about parrots eating mushroom was written by an Avian vet, at this link: Foods Toxic To Pet Birds – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

the Lovebird in question is considered for being put down. I was grasping at ideas that might work to avoid that end.
 

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Joined
10/18/09
Messages
1,000,001
Location
Arizona
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do you know why they are considering putting the Lovebird down? If it's brain damage is not such that it cannot maintain essential life activities ( eating, pooping, drinking) it can probably be accommodated. I know of several severely handicapped birds whose owners made it their goal to provide a life to severely handicapped birds. I can't remember one who complained about the extra effort or who didn't love their bird to death.
 

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Joined
8/9/20
Messages
6,415
Location
Ontario, Canada
Will the lovebird be in constant pain or require round the clock care? If not, it's probably possible to help them. Why not invite them to this forum & point out the Special Needs Crossing section?
 

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Joined
1/5/22
Messages
81
Location
Fennville, MI
Real Name
Vernon
I invited her via Facebook Messenger. The bird flew into a window and was ok for a while, then stopped singing.... then stopped flying and had stopped perching and mostly resided on the floor of the cage. She has been hand feeding him/her and the bird is eating. Today he seemed a bit better. I was just trying to think of some way for her to give some healing herbs, such as Lions Mane mushroom, or other to help the little guy cope with healing of a possible brain injury. It appears cooked mushrooms, NOT RAW, are ok in moderation and it listed Button, and Portobello mushrooms... cooked, as safe. I would imagine that Lion's Mane Mushroom or Reishi mushroom would probably have been heated and processed to get it to the stage of being in a capsule for a duration of being stable.
 

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Joined
4/4/17
Messages
4,440
Location
London, UK
Have they been to a vet? Vets have very effective, tested medicines to reduce brain swelling and to support the bird in healing.
 

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Joined
12/6/18
Messages
7,531
Location
UK
Real Name
Linden
Have they been to a vet? Vets have very effective, tested medicines to reduce brain swelling and to support the bird in healing.
:iagree:
While I like all the research into alternative treatments and holistics I would never trust anything I read on Facebook. This is for a vet.
 

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Joined
4/28/18
Messages
26,003
Location
Vic, Australia
Real Name
Shez
I would imagine that Lion's Mane Mushroom or Reishi mushroom would probably have been heated and processed to get it to the stage of being in a capsule for a duration of being stable.
I think you may find that dehydrating and crushing to powder is fairly common with the making of many herbal type capsules such as you mention, cooking or processing removes or alters many of the properties trying to be preserved.
I think you would be best to avoid this type of trial/experimental help and just see a vet for approved tried, tested and proven to work kind of help.
 

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Joined
1/5/22
Messages
81
Location
Fennville, MI
Real Name
Vernon
I think you would be best to avoid this type of trial/experimental help and just see a vet for approved tried, tested and proven to work kind of hel
You are probably right on all accounts. It is not for me. I have no sick birds. A lady had posted in Facebook about putting down her Lovebird due to a brain trauma. Young bird as well. I thought even though it might be a bit more risky, the alternative to this is a visit to a Vet and death. To any other bird, especially a perfectly healthy one, I would not suggest it. Sort of seemed a better alternative than to simply give up and end the birds life.
 
Top