• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies, budgies and finches

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
What are linnies like with the birds in the title in a large aviary setting?

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have read they are quite friendly, and can do well in mixed aviaries, as long as they have places to go. Is this true?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry I don't have more information. I have a single Linnie. She is extremely friendly and interested in people. I had an opportunity to add a canary to our home, but was nervous that Linnie Gigi could injure him, perhaps bite a foot through the cage bars. I'm so afraid of mixing beak sizes. I hope others will chime in with multi bird aviary experiences.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I read that canaries and linnies actually do quite well together,and there are plenty of examples online of successful mixings

Thank you so much @Dona

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've read that Linnies are teritorial, and like @Dona, I wouldn't risk the beak difference. I also read that they can be very timid, so they might be bullied by the budgies (I swear that budgies think that they're cockatoos!)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
That is such a shame. I have seen a few places online, and if I recall correctly, Birdland in Bourton-on-Water had a lone linnie in with some budgies and finches for company. They seemed very happy together, and were in an aviary not even a third the size of the one we have.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That is such a shame. I have seen a few places online, and if I recall correctly, Birdland in Bourton-on-Water had a lone linnie in with some budgies and finches for company. They seemed very happy together, and were in an aviary not even a third the size of the one we have.
I would just be worried that one small incedent could end with one of your birds severly injured. I honestly wouldn't risk it unless you are totally prepared to seperate them, and even then it's still a really big risk.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have 4 birds, 2 of which are a bonded pair of linnies. I allow them out to fly along with my conure. They generally mind their own business but they are very protective of their cage, and the one will stand up to the conure if challenged. I don't let them out with my lovebird because lovebirds are aggressive, and mine is no exception. So I think different species can get along, but it's a lot of work and lots of caution and of course separate housing. The only reason my two linnies are housed together is that they have been together since they hatched. My One linnie used to be very timid but now he's the opposite. And they're very protective of each other.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Not sure if you're thinking one linnie or more than one. Keep in mind that lone linnies (well, I'm sure there exceptions!) may try to befriend just about any other bird, if they don't have a same-species buddy. Even if that other bird is very mean towards them. I have experienced this twice with single linnies trying to be friendly out of the cage with my parrotlet, who hates them like you wouldn't believe. Yet they persisted and it's like they didn't know when to stop. Maybe it's just mine!

Once my single got a same-species buddy, they bonded and he stopped trying to be friends with p'let. Like @Leih 's boys, they now defend their cage if the p'let dares to come near. They are, however, easily shooed off any of the out-of-cage play areas by her.

I can't speak to having a mixed aviary with the species you mentioned. Finches/canaries are pretty fast and agile, they should be able to get away pretty easily if need be. And you'd need to make sure it's a good community finch, not something aggressive like a saffron. Not sure on budgies though. I think it would take a lot of full-time visual monitoring from you for awhile to make sure no one is truly getting picked on, constantly chased, etc.

-NG

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you so much!

It was going to be more than 1.