• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies & Bourkes?

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
I currently have two Linnie males that are caged together and are hand-tame and very friendly.
Instagram account for copious pictures :D

Anyway. I'm considering getting a third bird to keep with them. I would love to get another Linnie, but three is a crowd and I don't have room for four ;)

This is where another species comes in. Linnies are very gentle and quiet birds, so I am looking for one to compliment that and Bourkes came up in my search. The breeder that I used for the Linnies also does Bourkes, and they all turn out to be wonderful little gentle birds.

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on housing all three of these birds together? Typically I would always say that each species should have it's own cage, but in this case since they are all such gentle and passive species; I'm wondering if that would be necessary? They have a very similar diet and play with the same kind of toys, so it would be an ideal match if possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How large of a cage do you have?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
People told me Bourkes and linnies got along, so I got a Bourke to keep with company with a single linnie. In about 4-6 weeks the Bourke was bullying the linnie while in the large cage, chasing him around and completely stressing him out. Needless to say, it didn't work. I've only had this one experience, but I wouldn't do it again.

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
People told me Bourkes and linnies got along, so I got a Bourke to keep with company with a single linnie. In about 4-6 weeks the Bourke was bullying the linnie while in the large cage, chasing him around and completely stressing him out. Needless to say, it didn't work. I've only had this one experience, but I wouldn't do it again.
This is incredibly helpful, thank you!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage isn't big enough for three birds, especially if you want to mix species with the risks that brings.

Your birds are very cute and seem to get on beautifully. A third bird is going to disrupt that dynamic. I would just enjoy their company and let them be a pair.

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
That cage isn't big enough for three birds, especially if you want to mix species with the risks that brings.

Your birds are very cute and seem to get on beautifully. A third bird is going to disrupt that dynamic. I would just enjoy their company and let them be a pair.
Seems like the best option. I’ll add another cage and another bird when space allows.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I looked at your IG account and your duo is darling! IMHO, don't rock the boat!!!!