• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies and pellets

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
My guys will always choose seed over pellets. Even if I put a little seed and mostly pellets, they eat the fresh foods, and the seed, and then stare at me the rest of the day like they have no more food. They might eat a couple bites of pellets, but nothing significant. So, in an effort to increase pellet intake, they now get fresh food, seed/pellet mix during day but then 100% pellets with no other options during the evening hours.

Here's what I have noticed: they eat them okay, but they eat, and eat, and eat, and EAT! They'll go for like 1.5 hours eating the stuff like it's popcorn. All 4 of them do this. When they have the seed/pellet mix, they eat like normal birds and take long breaks. Not so with 100% pellet option. They also are more restless before going to bed.

So, what is up with pellets? Even though it may be delivering what they need, do the birds not feel full? Something about it is not satiating to them.

I am using Roudybush maintenance and to be honest, feel like I'm forcing them to eat something they wouldn't otherwise choose. I have tried some other brands but they wouldn't touch them, except for Pretty Bird small, which they dumped in the water and ate only the red :)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have Roudybush crumble low fat for Iris. I gave him some for a bit and he didn't touch it, but he's never had pellets before that I know of. I am not that worried, so I haven't given pellets for a while, as I want to get more fresh stuff into his diet first.

I'll be trying again this weekend I think, so I update you on how he takes it. Most likely throwing it across the room (I JUST CAN'T WIN!!) in disgust

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@NorthernGannet Gigi's an Linnie outlier in that she's not very food curious or motivated. But she's a big hardy girl at 52-54 grams. She does like her Roudybush minis. They are available 24/7 and she eats them throughout the day even if soft food or a Nutri-berry are available. She takes each pellet, dips it in water and breaks it into pieces, balancing the pieces on her perch and eating them one by one. Tedious. :)

Commenting an over enthusiastic response, I give Gigi ACV water 1 week each month. Although she dips her pellets, I seldom see her actually drinking unless it's ACV. She realizes that it's that special water and she sips and sips for a while. I view that as her knowing it's value. So I'm wondering if the pellets are giving your gang something that has been missing?

NorthernGannet

well I'd wondered that too about maybe being something they're missing, but if that's the case, why do they almost completely ignore them unless there's zero other choice? And why are they going nuts before bed? They climb all over in circles, the manner that mine do when they're aggitated. It doesn't really make sense to me.

That is funny Gigi balances them on her perch!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe the Roudybush is too high in carbs for them? It's first ingredient is corn. Very stimulating.

I guess I would first go with the theory they are getting something that has been lacking in their diet and it is giving them unusual energy. Maybe do what you're doing for a few weeks. See if they slow down the eating and overactivity eventually. Seems like a safe thing to try.

Do you feed the crumbles? You could also try the minis to see how they manipulate them. It would definitely slow them down lol.

It's confusing, I agree.

NorthernGannet

Corrrrrn. It's the first ingredient in Roudy, Pretty Bird, Harrison's, and probably others. I didn't know it was a stimulant. They never eat fresh corn I've served! LOL.

I've been doing this for a couple weeks, will keep on for a little bit and see what gives, if anything.

Oh, a couple times I took crushed pellet (mortar and pestel, really small!) and dusted their eggs with it. Do you know what Sprite did? He sat there and removed every piece of pellet grain, then ate the eggs.