• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie won't drink from bowl?

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
my 10 week old Linnie, which I have already introduced in another thread, doesn't seem to drink from his/her bowl. He eats the seeds he has in one bowl but I haven't seen him drink from the water bowl. I've misted him and after I do that, he starts to lick the water off of his perches.
Should I buy a plant that can hold the water droplets so he can lick it off? Is there a way to get him to drink from his bowl?
Note: he is hand shy so trying to splash water to get his attention doesn't seem to work.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Hello. Is it possible your bird doesn't know how to drink from a bowl? Try offering a water bottle that hooks on th cage, or offer water on a spoon to see if he responds. Just keep an eye on his poop, and I'd recommend a vet visit. Offer him moist food for now until you can figure it out.
I know cats aren't the same, but I taught kittens (mother died) to eat from a syringe or bottle, then a spoon, then lowered the spoon into a bowl until there was no more spoon in the way. :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd call the petshop to see if he is used to a waterbowl or bottle.
Maybe you just don't see him drink water. I hardly ever see mine drink water but he does dunk his pellets so guess he does drink. I have had him over a year so I don't worry but if he is used to drinking from a bowl its likely he is getting water.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The plant idea isn't bad though. I'd just wet some greens, even just a leaf of lettuce, and clip it to the side of the cage, though.
I wouldn't use an actual live plant, though - unless you are absolutely sure it's a safe plant and don't mind it getting eaten. Besides picking a non poisonous plant, also consider most recently purchased houseplants are going to have pesticide and fertilizer residues and chemicals added to the soil to retain moisture, ect. Linnies do love plants though - I let mine play in the plant on the top shelf of my plant stand but I only keep safe plants there and rotate them so they can recover from being nibbled on.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
For sure call the petstore and ask if he used a water bottle. The watered lettuce idea @karen256 mentioned could be good too. Is he on pellets? You could soak those a bit to get some more liquid into him.
Just keep a close eye, and I recommend a wellness exam as soon as possible at an avian vet.
Good luck with him, keep us updated. :)

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
Thanks guys! I tried to call the pet store but my call went unanswered. Anyway, I went away for the weekend and had my mom look after him. When I got back, she told me she had seen him drink from his water bowl and I have seen him use it as well now.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Try clipping some greens right above the water bowl so that they just dip into the water. If he really likes the greens, you might float them in the water bowl.

Good luck.