• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie vocalisation

elemental1

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey guys,
We've had our Linnie Mortimer since he was first weened and he's an absolute dream. One thing I have noticed is how his vocalisation and sounds have changed over the months since we got him. He went from the typical Linnie trills and almost zebra like calls to a lot more squeeky and screamy. I've played Linnie calls to him and he doesn't respond to them at all.
One theory I have is that he is taking after our budgie and trying to mimic her the best he can but I can't find any research online about this so I don't know if that's a real thing.
Does anyone else have any experience with this?I'll attach some sample videos if I find any from before/if I can be bothered

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’ve noticed Kiwi (budgie) mimicking the tiels and the tiels mimicking Kiwi from time to time so it sounds like a possibly.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a pair of bonded linnies as well as a lovebird and a conure. My linnies are pretty uninterested in the other birds since they're bonded, but my lovebird definitely has changed her sounds! She makes a sound my conure makes and occasionally she makes one that sounds like my linnies. So definitely a possibility that your linnie is mimicking your budgie!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yeah the budgie that lives by my cockatiel copies the cockatiel noises, it's her normal call now, she hardly ever makes normal budgie noises. :lol: You can't tell who's talking.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Decades ago I had a cockatiel and canary that lived side side by side. My cockatiel mimicked some canary sounds. My canary's song grew by the year but always sounded pure canary. It makes sense to me that your Linnie would copy your budgie. Especially since Mortimer is young. My 3 year old Linnie learned all of her trick sounds and whistles before she turned 4 months old. She hasn't added any since. My new baby Linnie has been with us 10 days and has already learned Gigi's juicy kiss and will quickly do it back to Gigi or me when we do it.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Any time we take in a new linnie we notice that their sounds are different from our birds. Within a few weeks, they learn the "local dialect" of our linnies.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I have had the same "language" experience as @Matto with my flock. Also one of my linnies, but only one of them, now mimics some of the louder birds outside that come to my feeder.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have had the same "language" experience as @Matto with my flock. Also one of my linnies, but only one of them, now mimics some of the louder birds outside that come to my feeder.
Hopefully not the jerk blue jays? Those freak my birds out, they're so loud!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Decades ago I had a cockatiel and canary that lived side side by side. My cockatiel mimicked some canary sounds. My canary's song grew by the year but always sounded pure canary. It makes sense to me that your Linnie would copy your budgie. Especially since Mortimer is young. My 3 year old Linnie learned all of her trick sounds and whistles before she turned 4 months old. She hasn't added any since. My new baby Linnie has been with us 10 days and has already learned Gigi's juicy kiss and will quickly do it back to Gigi or me when we do it.
I missed that you have a new addition!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson