• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie laid eggs on cage floor

Tracywood

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracy
Hi my linnies,they were both supposed to be males,my cobalt blue started laying eggs,she laid four. I shone light through them and looks like one or two have veins.she only lays on them during the day. She sleeps in her hut.shs laid them on cage floor.what should i do

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Zara

I would take them out, boil them, let them cool and replace until she abandons them. Then take them out and bin them. Alternatively, take them out and replace with dummy eggs.

Hope this helps!

Ali

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Tracy! Uh oh. Quite a surprise finding out he's and she. Lots of similar stories here. @Ali 's advice sounds good.

No egg laying with my single girl fortunately. So I have no experience. But in the future you might look at your environment to see if there are things that encourage egg laying. Linnies notoriously love to burrow but I don't allow Gigi to have any contained cozy spaces. When she discovered a little hide-y hole in the sofa arm cover, she would go inside and chortle away eventually getting aggressive and defensive of the spot. Maybe it seemed like the perfect nest? I rearranged and it's not available anymore.

Good luck and be sure to post about your duo. Pictures are always appreciated. :)

Tracywood

Real Name
Tracy
Welcome Tracy! Uh oh. Quite a surprise finding out he's and she. Lots of similar stories here. @Ali 's advice sounds good.

No egg laying with my single girl fortunately. So I have no experience. But in the future you might look at your environment to see if there are things that encourage egg laying. Linnies notoriously love to burrow but I don't allow Gigi to have any contained cozy spaces. When she discovered a little hide-y hole in the sofa arm cover, she would go inside and chortle away eventually getting aggressive and defensive of the spot. Maybe it seemed like the perfect nest? I rearranged and it's not available anymore.

Good luck and be sure to post about your duo. Pictures are always appreciated. :)
Hi the femake bird is sitting on the eggs,and there are veins in some.i think its too late to boil them

Tracywood

Real Name
Tracy
@Zara

I would take them out, boil them, let them cool and replace until she abandons them. Then take them out and bin them. Alternatively, take them out and replace with dummy eggs.

Hope this helps!

Ali
But she has been sitting on them for two weeks. Is nt it cruel to boil them now

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If they're still on the floor, move them to a nest box with a few inches aspen shavings (no pine or cedar) so the chicks dont get splayed legs.

@Mockinbirdiva

Reactions: Ali

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You hen only sits on the eggs during the day but not at night time? Linnies incubate their eggs around 18 – 21 days, depending on how soon incubation actually starts after the first egg is produced. It may be very unlikely your eggs are going to hatch if the hen isn't staying on the clutch. Have you done any research on them and studied any articles on candling eggs to be sure you are seeing fertile eggs? If they are fertile you should prepare for any babies that may be abandoned by the parents ... meaning you may have to take over and feed them, place them in a brooder, formula.... but before we get into that do make sure if your eggs are fertile. Do you know when she may have starting incubating? Did you write down when the first egg was laid? Is there any nesting material on the floor of the cage? Since now you know at least one of them is a female..... are you sure the other bird is a male? Have you seen them mating? Two females kept together can and will lay eggs.... they just won't be fertile.

Here are a couple of videos on egg candling ... limited time to find best videos but I think these are sufficient to help you in candling and making sure your eggs are or are not fertile. If they aren't, you can boil them as suggested and put them back where they were and allow your hen to sit on them until she loses interest.