• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie head bobbing?

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
i just purchased my new bird and I have noticed that while talking to it, it shakes or bobs its head with each noise I make? Am I startling my bird?

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
Didn't you say that he/she is a couple months old? Some birds may keep doing it for a while even after they're out of the nest, it's just a baby habit.

Like this:

My 10-year-old conure tends to do it a lot whenever I give him a treat or a food he likes. He tends to rapidly bob his head up and down (not slowly like a baby would, but really fast) whenever he gets really excited. As far as I know, this is relatively unique to just him and not a shared behavior. There can be different reasons for different behaviors in individuals, but I've never heard of a bird doing it when they're startled.

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
Oh okay!! and yes, he's only 10 weeks old!
I just talked to him again and he chirped and muttered back with no head bobbing, so that's good! He's now happily exploring his cage and chewing on some millet!

Quill

Moving in
Real Name
Alex Simon
But his bobbing wasn't slow, it was quick and only in response to my voice and it was a single bob, it wasn't multiple.

Last edited:

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
Oh okay!! and yes, he's only 10 weeks old!
I just talked to him again and he chirped and muttered back with no head bobbing, so that's good! He's now happily exploring his cage and chewing on some millet!

Oh! Even younger! I'd definitely just chalk it up as a baby habit. If you've ever run into a nest of baby birds, the babies are all quiet. As soon as you make some noise, their heads all pop up and they start cheeping and bobbing because they assume that you're mom back with some delicious food.

Just keep an eye on him for anything else, just to make sure it isn't anything more than just baby behavior.