• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie Droppings

mallory

Moving in
Real Name
Mallory
what is considered "normal" for a lennie's droppings? My girl's are large, watery, and varying from an orange color to a green. Is that normal or is something wrong? Thank-You.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I just know they poop more than you can imagine such a little bird could! Kiwi's nickname is Mr. Poopers.

Changes in color are usually just due to eating different colored foods. If she's eating seeds or pellets without any dyes, then a color change might be cause for concern, but if she's getting a healthy varied diet with different fruits and veggies, or is eating colored pellets, then changes in dropping color are normal. One thing though - the urates (liquid part of the dropping) should always be clear or mostly clear - changes in color to this part can indicate problems. And black or bright red droppings when she hasn't eaten strongly colored foods like blueberries can indicate internal bleeding.

mallory

Moving in
Real Name
Mallory
I swear, my little Suki poops every 10 minuets! The urates is like a light green if the main part is green same goes for the orange. There isn't a smell coming from them, and she's on a natural seed diet. I've just introduced apples into her diet, slowly trying to get her to something stable since her breeder only had her on multicolored pellets.

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
I'm working on the fruits and veggies also. it wasn't offered before I got them but they do seem to like broccoli lol. Skye poops on me everytime I have him on me whether its putting him away moving him...anytime I get hit with it lol

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
The dropping should have 3 parts: Urine--should be clear liquid. Urates--white, toothpaste-like or chalky. Feces--should be well-formed tubes of varying colors depending on diet. If the feces is not formed into tubes, that is diarrhea, which may be normal if you are adding a watery fruit like apple or grape, but if it continues would indicate that a vet visit is in order. And yes, the smaller the bird, the more frequently it poops!