• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie Diet

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Figured I should ask this here too, since I have some conflicting information about what linnies can and can't eat.

The breeder I got Machi from gave me a 30 minute lecture as well as a packet of basics on Linnies, including what I shouldn't give them. The most I have questions about are

1)Seeds. The breeder told me that giving them to Machi would shorten his lifespan, but from resources in English they say to give Linnies some seeds, like around 10% of their diet? Is this true, or should I keep Machi on his current diet (which is almost entirely pellets, with an occasional apple slice and greens) If it's okay to give him seeds I'm just planning on giving him the same unhulled seed mix I give my Java finch lol

2)Fruits. The breeder's list of Do Not Feed included pears and tropical fruits as it could cause digestive issues, but a lot of treats for parrots include tropical fruits which limits my treat choices. I've also seen Dona talk about giving Gigi Nutri-berries so I assume they're fine but just wanted some confirmation.

I'm good on the basic Do Not Feed stuff (caffeine, alcohol, avocado, certain fruit seeds, etc) I'm just concerned about the 2 stated above.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's Gigi's current diet. She has access to Roudybush pellets and water 24/7. I give her a mix of soft veggies in the morning, like brown rice, peas, carrots and corn. I give her a Nutri-berry when she returns to her cage in the late afternoon. Sometimes I give her a sample of what we eat for dinner which might be chicken, broccoli and sweet potato, which she often ignores. I have not heard to avoid tropical fruit or pears. Over this year and half I have offered many, many things, over and over, and she has usually no interest or seems afraid. If you have multiple birds, they might be bolder and try new things more easily. If I am eating something when she is out she will land on my plate, even my smoothie glass rim (!), but won't taste. And leans away if I offer, but she wants to see it close up, lol.

Gigi's breeder believes that pellets should be most of the diet and doesn't like seeds, so he discourages Nutri-berries.

Last edited:

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
The seed vs pellets will always be a conflicting discussion. I noticed the baby linnies at the local store here were weaned to 100% Roudybush. The breeder I got my new boy from feeds 100% seed. I prefer a mixture because I feel the more varied the better. Being warned away from too much sunflower is a good warning, although neither of my linnies touch either sunflower or safflower anyhow. How many other linnies eschew those two seeds?

I've not heard anything negative regarding pears or tropical fruits, so I don't know. I have heard you're not supposed to feed citrus fruits when they're on pellets?? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can verify that one.

-NG

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
and ps: my linnies won't eat Nutri Berries either, even crunched up. Why?? My p'let loves them.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm really late to this thread, but I give all my birds a little seed mix daily. Too much fat is not good for them, but they need some, so I think a lot of people feed in moderation. My boys also eat Roudybush. I've never heard about pears being bad for them. Linnies are piggies, they typically give them anything I give them, except mango! I should do more fresh vegetables, but I do what I can for now.