• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie adolescence

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Linnie friends! As many of you know, I have a pair of male linnies, who are housed together. They are both about a year and 7 months. Around 10 months Caspar went through the classic linnie adolescence. It passed in a few months and now he's chill. Emrys has always been very timid, and Caspar would be more aggressive towards me to protect Emrys. Emrys has really come around in the past couple of months, he readily comes to the front of his cage to great me and we do a little beak to fingertip greeting. Recently, he's become somewhat cage protective! And even demanding of his treats! It's almost like he's going through delayed puberty! They came to me clipped and have very recently started flying, although not very gracefully as of yet. Yesterday, they both flew across the room and then turned back to their cage, which was a first! Has anyone ever had a linnie suddenly "come out of his shell" over a year later? I just hope he doesn't get aggressive towards Caspar. They bicker sometimes, but it seems like a normal amount to me.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I'm so glad Emrys is interacting more with you now. But, I don't know. The ability to fly and be more in control over his choices might be giving Emrys more confidence? Has Caspar changed with you now that he might not need to protect his shy buddy? It will be interesting to watch this play out.

BTW, how's school going?​

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww I'm so glad Emrys is interacting more with you now. But, I don't know. The ability to fly and be more in control over his choices might be giving Emrys more confidence? Has Caspar changed with you now that he might not need to protect his shy buddy? It will be interesting to watch this play out.

BTW, how's school going?​
Caspar seems the same, disinterested in me as usual! Maybe he does just have more confidence.... I hope they can remain cage mates!

School is going well! I transferred this semester and really like my professors. And the tutoring services for chemistry have been extremely helpful. I have three exams next week, trying to not panic!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Caspar seems the same, disinterested in me as usual! Maybe he does just have more confidence.... I hope they can remain cage mates!!
I hope so too. You have enough cages, lol

School is going well! I transferred this semester and really like my professors. And the tutoring services for chemistry have been extremely helpful. I have three exams next week, trying to not panic!
I'm glad it's going well! Yikes, that's a lot of exams.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I'm not sure if my experience would "count", but Sprite came to me very laid back, somewhat withdrawn, very little activity of his own accord even though he had the ability to fly. He wasn't too interested in getting to know me, although he was super tame. I was told he was about a year old at that time. As you know he came out of his shell when I got Jellybean, which would now put him somewhere 16-18 months old?? Just a guess on that age. But he's become a new bird, really. He now solicits for treats, flies circles around the room just for the fun of it (he could do this before but never did), and even bit me for the first time yesterday (he was mad because I trimmed toe nails). Lol. He also stands up for himself to Jellybean now, which he didn't at first. And for the first time, he flew over to my arm of his own accord the other day when he wanted something i had in my hand. Later he hopped down from his play area to the back of my chair and down to my shoulder while I was eating dinner, although he refused my food. It's nice suddenly being interesting :)

I'd go along with Lady Jane's idea that they are having more fun. Sprite got a friend, Emrys got wings??

-NG

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm not sure if my experience would "count", but Sprite came to me very laid back, somewhat withdrawn, very little activity of his own accord even though he had the ability to fly. He wasn't too interested in getting to know me, although he was super tame. I was told he was about a year old at that time. As you know he came out of his shell when I got Jellybean, which would now put him somewhere 16-18 months old?? Just a guess on that age. But he's become a new bird, really. He now solicits for treats, flies circles around the room just for the fun of it (he could do this before but never did), and even bit me for the first time yesterday (he was mad because I trimmed toe nails). Lol. He also stands up for himself to Jellybean now, which he didn't at first. And for the first time, he flew over to my arm of his own accord the other day when he wanted something i had in my hand. Later he hopped down from his play area to the back of my chair and down to my shoulder while I was eating dinner, although he refused my food. It's nice suddenly being interesting :)

I'd go along with Lady Jane's idea that they are having more fun. Sprite got a friend, Emrys got wings??

-NG
Yes, must be! Today they took a few turns around the room and even managed a sort of skilled landing. Emrys landed on the floor and instead of scooping him up, he gained all that height himself, even flew up and sat on the wall perch! I was waving goodbye to my birds just now and Emrys would squabble at me and flap his wings! I'm glad to see he's coming out of his shell!

That's amazing how much Sprite has changed since you got him Jellybean! Awww he was sad scared and lonely and now he's living the Linnie dream! 20191028_102303.jpg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
And he's up there alone! Caspar was down on the front of the cage. It used to be wherever Caspar went Emrys followed. :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was not directing my post to any one person and i am sorry if you were offended. I had no idea how many birds you have. It is my opinion so please dont take it personally. I deleted the post so i hope all is ok.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh, OK. I was wrong to assume and thank you for clarifying.

NorthernGannet

Leih, do you keep a running weight of your birds? I'm interested to see if one or both of them gain a couple grams once they are expert fliers. Sprite has jumped from a steady 52/53 to 56 grams since getting Jellybean, and he's not fat. I presume it's added muscle weight from all his flying around. Jellybean I can't say because he was gaining regular weight as well, and he doesn't fly as much as Sprite. Unless he gets more robust as he matures, he's just a lightweight.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leih, do you keep a running weight of your birds? I'm interested to see if one or both of them gain a couple grams once they are expert fliers. Sprite has jumped from a steady 52/53 to 56 grams since getting Jellybean, and he's not fat. I presume it's added muscle weight from all his flying around. Jellybean I can't say because he was gaining regular weight as well, and he doesn't fly as much as Sprite. Unless he gets more robust as he matures, he's just a lightweight.
Gigi has weighed 50 grams for over a year now, so her weight did not change when she began to fly. Not sure if females are naturally lighter.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I don't. I know I should, but they are very hand shy and panic when I get the scale out. Now that they're gaining more confidence, especially Emrys, I'll have to start getting them used to the scale.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
And I'll have to rig their scale with a perch, instead of the dish that my other birds get into.

NorthernGannet

Gigi has weighed 50 grams for over a year now, so her weight did not change when she began to fly. Not sure if females are naturally lighter.
I don't know either, but Jellybean is DNA male and seems to have leveled out at just 43g. He's super light. Pick up Sprite who you can definitely feel, then pick up Jellybean and you're double checking to make sure he's actually on your hand! Interesting her weight didn't change. Maybe Sprite started eating more and I didn't realize it since it happened after they were put together.

NorthernGannet

I don't. I know I should, but they are very hand shy and panic when I get the scale out. Now that they're gaining more confidence, especially Emrys, I'll have to start getting them used to the scale.
Ya, it's hard to weigh them when they're not very tame. It was tough the first several times with my new guy. Now that he steps up he's good though. A perch on the scale really helps.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Ya, it's hard to weigh them when they're not very tame. It was tough the first several times with my new guy. Now that he steps up he's good though. A perch on the scale really helps.
That's what I will need to do. I have a food scale, I refuse to pay the exorbitant price of a scale marketed for birds. I'll just have to modify a perch and tare with it on there. I'll definitely let you know what they weigh if I get them on there soon!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't weighed Gigi at home. She needs her nails trimmed every 3 months or so at the vet. They put her in a Tupperware type container that sits on a scale. She doesn't seem to care at all.

upload_2019-10-31_15-13-40.jpeg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Here's a video of Caspar and Emrys that exemplifies what I mean. I'm sure he'll grow out of it, but this is exactly how Caspar was around 10 months. My sweet boy is growing up! I like to call them tater tots for some unknown reason :roflmao:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, Gigi's got that lunge going on. She never outgrew it. I switch and wash perches on the 1st of the month. This afternoon is not going to be Gigi's favorite day. But it's just so funny how she immediately gets over it. Don't touch that! Then oh hey, and she pops right on to my shoulder.

Tater tots. :) Your boys are just so cute. Just keep your hands to yourself.