• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Links to Bird Safe Heaters?

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Hey guys! We will be working on building Fumbles new room soon but until then we have to keep her in the garage (with her cage). The garage has portable air filters, fans, and her humidifier so I think she should be ok for a couple months in there (mainly while I’m at school).

Anyways it can get pretty cold we live (Northern AZ) so I am looking for a space heater that would be safe. I prefer the ceramic heater with fan and thermostat but I just don’t know what the safest one is since there are so many out there.

Do you guys have any links to safe ceramic heaters that you use and recommend?

Ps. The heater would only be on when she is in the cage.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hello.
This is the heater I bought for Pasha.
I liked the fact that it does not dry the air and can be controlled remotely by phone. By the way, it easily heats a 20 square meter room in about 15 minutes. Of course, if the area is larger, it will still heat, but it may take 30 minutes. I would recommend.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Any of the oil filled radiator type heaters are completely safe. The one thing that I don't care a lot about them is that you can't get that quick heat when you need it.

If you live in/around Flagstaff you may need that quick heat now and then.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just bought a new oil radiator the other day (my partner wrecks them because he leans on them til the legs break :facepalm: ) I like them, you have to turn them on in advance to have the room warm at night.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Dunno about "Safest", but I bought one of these back in March:

Air Choice Ceramic Space Heater with Adjustable Thermostat

Fired it up outside for a few hours to "burn-in" any corrosion coatings on the elements, but even then it never had the "new heater smell". Thermostat is fiddley, but functional -- the range of "comfortable" is pretty narrow, but not hard to set -- if it's too cold/hot, move it slowly until it kicks on/off. The frame is metal, but all but the grill stays cool and the wiring is properly grounded inside (Yes, I checked). I will warn, it does NOT come with a tip-over switch, so wherever you put it, make sure it can't fall over on it's face.

Overall, it's suited our needs.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I ended up getting this one. How long did you leave it running before introducing it around the birds?

I have had it on high on and off for a total of 10hours now outside. Does it need more time? I did notice it still has a slight “new product smell” but it’s not overwhelming. Have you experienced this with yours? Should I continue to run it?

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
In my experience it would be best to let it run until you can't smell the "new product" smell anymore. The smell tends to linger for a few days and while mine wasn't exceptionally overpowering I could definitely still tell it was there. After you can no longer smell the "new product" smell then I'd say it's safe to use around your birds.

Last edited: