• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Limping has returned, painful

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey

So my 24yr old Dove was limping badly 2 weeks ago. Took him to the vet, they did x-rays, and full blood panel.

Cant point the finger on any cause, just alot of could be this, could be that...try metcam...try an anti biotic...

He seemed to be getting better, limping greatly improved, so I held off on treatment.

Now, Its back again. Nothing has changed. I dont understand why its back in full force again, but he is barely putting weight on it.

I am looking for alternative options to metcam.

Are these safe to use on birds that arent parrots?

I have read about dandelion, leaves or roots?Do i use tea? Does he drink it? Do I spray it on him?

Aloe - how do I know which aloe to use? How do I use it?

Ceylon cinnamon? Where in Canada is a trusted source to buy this from?

Im terrified to try garlic, milk thistle,

Please help? Suggestions?

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Why are you looking for a metacam alternative? I don't know much about sick birds, but most of what I read generally states that if you don't trust your original vet, get a second opinion. Dandelion, garlic, etc, they are the weak stuff. I compare it to eating herbs to cure something rather than the medication the doctor gives you. Metacam is animal and bird safe, and used as an antibiotic. I'd say give metacam a shot before deciding anything else.