• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Limp leg Budgie :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andee

Walking the driveway
So I just walked in the door with my newest addition to even out the numbers in my budgie flock. I fell in love with an albino from a pet store and paid for the little baby straight away however while I was paying the bird flew out of the young mans hands and hit the floor :( The store is carpeted but I am worried 'Elvis' is injured. I just went to put him/her into the quarrantine cage and noticed she can't walk properly now. He/She seems to be dragging the right leg along. I have put Elvis in a small cage with a low perch and placed food and water dishes so he/she can reach them. I placed Elvis on the perch and he/she can perch though seems to be leaning more on the left leg. There is no blood and Elvis will let me touch the leg without any squawking or biting. Normally I would take the bird back to the store however I think they would just get rid of the poor baby:mad:. Please let me know any thoughts on how to help my new addition!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know where your located but a trip to the vet might be in order. In the mean time I would quarantine her, and set her up in a hospital cage with all the perches and food low so she doesn't have to use that leg too much right away. It's possible it's a sprain or a strain but she could have broken something. Do you need help finding an avian vet?

Ginger

Andee

Walking the driveway
Thanks, I put her in a hospital cage as soon as I saw her attempts to walk. I think it is a sprain or strain as there is no visible deformity and Elvis is still using the leg (although somewhat poorly). It is night time here and no avian vets are open. Tomorrow morning I have a funeral but when I get home if nothing has improved I will ring around and see if anyone can see her. I feel so sorry for him :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
the poor little dear...yes, if he has not improved, a vet visit is in order

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
My Patagonian had her foot stepped on once and she acted the same way for a day. I was touching her leg and moving it to see if she reacted, but she didn't scream or anything. She just wouldn't stand on it. The next day she was back to normal. If it doesn't improve in a day, then it's time to see the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.