• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lilac Crowned Amazon in an apartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mschoe05

Checking out the neighborhood
Greetings, This is my first post, but I want to thank everyone who posts regularly on this forum as I learned a great deal about my new cockatiel when I first brought him home and was a pretty inexperienced bird guy. My girlfriend and I have a 'tiel that we love and we've really been turned into bird people by him - he's been an only child for a while now and we weren't really considering another parrot any time soon... and yet, while on a trip to the pet store last night for food and toys, we encounter a loving, tame, sweet Lilac crowned amazon that we absolutely fell in love with!

I've done a great deal of research into how to care for these birds and I feel like I knew what I'm getting into - this particular bird is 7 months old, he was sold 4 months ago but had to be returned to the pet store because the family's dog wasn't getting along with the new bird. He steps up immediately, appears to be very quiet, loved hanging out on my shoulder, and dosen't seem aggressive at all with other birds - in fact, the store had to house him separately because the sun conures were picking on him and he had lost his tail feathers from the bullying! We really want to give him a safe home, and best of all, he seems to love 'tiels! He used to jump into the tiel area at the pet store and eat seeds with them because they didn't pick on him.

Even with those experiences, he bonded with us VERY quickly and we are seriously considering going back for him today.... my question is, can we realistically keep this fellow in an apartment. We do have neighbors, and we've never had any complaints about our cockatiel, who is quite the singer... our apartment has cement walls, which keeps sound from traveling, and my neighbors often blast music I can hear from the hallway but not in our apartment. But, my question is, how loud can this bird get, really??? Sound does not travel well in my building, but I want to know for sure. I will break my heart if I bring this guy home, and it turns out he bothers my neighbors. Any advice about the noise level of this species would be greatly appreciated!!!

--Matt

starreys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sarah
lilac crown amazons are said to be one of the quietest out of all the amazon species and make the best pets so i have read here in australian bird magazine but having never owned one i cant confirm as here in Oz they cost about 10, 000 each, but it depends if you are out all day my yellow crown gets noisey a couple of times a day but i do have 3 kids.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You should be okay with noise levels but keep in mind that Amazons of any species can sound off at times. A happy Zon is a busy Zon that has the fullfillment of being out and about with the Family and plenty of toys to stay occupied from wood to shredders to foraging opportunity.

Goodluck I love the Lilacs :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Welcome!

You could have a non stop screaming macaw or cockatoo in an apartment. Just depends on the apartment you live in.

When I was 17 I had a U2 and a Red Lored Amazon. My amazon, Pua, was very loud! But we lived in a large apartment, against the trees. Sound didn't travel.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Maybe a good idea to ask workers there if he gets loud often.

Mschoe05

Yeah, we talked at length the manager... he's much quieter than the other amazons they have, which I finding out is pretty common for this species. My fear is that his noise along won't bother anyone, and our cockatiel's songs along wont bother anyone.. but if they get going at the same time, I seriously worry about the sound carrying. I don't care bout noise within my living space but I gotta be respectful of my neighbors. Haven't made a decision yet, but since he was purchased once and returned, the store is selling him at a deep discount. I feel like this is our best chance to get a bigger parrot at a reasonable price! And even better that he seems to be so calm and sweet... but I've heard the horror stories of those who take a bird home without fully knowing what they're getting into.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
My Amazon can be very LOUD, when he's in the mood....He doesn't do it often, though, so it's not a problem here. We do live in a house, as opposed to an apartment. The Lilac Crowned has a quieter reputation. I'd go for it!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a hard call. I have a LCA but I don't think Olivia is typical, she almost never sounds off, but when she does it is loud.
Here is video of her noises, it's it louder in person.

sonja

Jogging around the block
I had a LCA as a foster for a while and she was LOUD! One of the loudest I've had.

Also, make sure your landlord will allow the bird. It's not fair to get her and then find out you aren't allowed to have her, and she gets shipped off again to somewhere else.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My LCA is pretty quiet for the most part but she doesn't like to be left alone and when you leave the room, she will sound off and can be pretty loud. We live in a condo and have cement walls between us that seem to do the trick. We've only had one sound complaint and that's when we had the front door open on a warm spring day. We also have two Cockatoos and two other Amazons that can get pretty loud. I'd say go for it but only you can make the decision. I absolutely adore all our of our Amazons...they're great birds.

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
I live in an apartment now, with a macaw and a cockatoo. It really depends on your neighbors. Our landlady lives across the parking lot and comments that she can hear the birds outside, but it doesn't bother anyone and the locals really seem to enjoy being able to watch our parrots play on the patio. Talk to your landlord, but keep in mind that you aren't seeing that amazon's true colors at a petstore. Petstores stress out most parrots and they won't show their real personality and behavior until settled into a new home.

Mschoe05

Yeah, that's good advice - our landlord does allow birds, we got it written into our lease because we moved in with a cockatiel.

Mschoe05

A big thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and insight, it is greatly appreciated. We spoke with each of our neighbors and ultimately decided not to pull the trigger. We're sad, but we were never really considering getting another bird at the moment anyway, and we just don't have the living situation to accommodate a big parrot like a LCA. We're gonna sit tight for the time being and maybe get a second cockatiel when we decide the time is right. I think cockatiels are the most underrated of all birds and you really can't go wrong with them!

Once again, a sincere thank you to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.