• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Likely Cloacal prolapse in 33 year old African Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Hi guys, I just got a phone call from my brother, they took my African Grey, Tyler into their home for me when I was in the hospital for 7 months and have been taking great care of him, however I got a phone call today and it sounds like he has a cloacal prolapse.
Unfortunately, it sounds like he had dried poop stuck there last week but since he was acting normal they gave him a pan to wash himself in and didn't think anything of it. Today my sister in law described it as him having hard poop stuck like an inch down and part of his little butt was sticking out which makes me think that he might be a she, but that doesn't matter right now. What matters is he is fluffed up, not talking and obviously needs to see the vet.
My sister in law went to check on him again while I was on the phone with her and apparently now he has very wet poop but the cloaca is still sticking out. He is also only using one leg but he has a bad foot/leg so that makes sense if he is not feeling well.

She is home sick with my nephew, who is quite ill also and I am stuck here an hour away and I need to find a way to get to them with the money to go to a vet. I also have no immune system and am probably going to get sick myself if I go anywhere near my nephew even wearing a mask, but ?I have to get down there. How much time do you guys think I have and any suggestions? I am going to try to see if I can get them to make a hospital cage but I'm not sure if they have the right stuff. I'm also going to see if I can get them to get some pedialyte or make a pedialyte solution to add to a separate water container in his cage to help him out that extra bit.. he is VERY picky and I know if he doesn't like it he won't touch it so I don't want to make sure normal water is available..
Maybe some fruit juice too if they have some available, like watered down apple juice? I know he likes apple juice.. Also, Tyler does not tolerate handling well at all and with my brother not being home it could be very difficult for my sister in law to get him to do anything and she also has my sick nephew to care for.

I am in upstate NY (Hancock, NY) my vet is in Vestal, NY. And they are in Honesdale, Pennsylvania.
The vet I am trying to reach right now is called the Finch Hill Veterinary Clinic in Greenfield, PA or the Carbondale Veterinary Hospital in Carbondale, PA which are both closer to them but it sounds like the finch one may be closed and so far the Carbondale one has a busy signal.. I'll keep trying but I am not totally sure if they are avian vets or if they deal with birds on a regular basis, even. I may have to get him back here to my vet in NY, the Vestal Veterinary Hospital, which is the place I brought my Macaw too. No idea how I'll manage that though.. maybe I can just get him back here and try to get him to the other vet tomorrow.. my bf is not home and won't be until late tonight or early tomorrow after a very long all day drive.

I can't drive, my medication and lack of sleep from another medication prevents me from doing so and I would end up dead or at least crashing the car.. Hopefully I can find a way to get down there.. Any suggestions of any other vets folks might know in these areas? Or suggestions of other things to do in the meantime? Remember, Tyler is no spring chicken he is now either 33 or 34 years old. He is normally VERY talkative.. for him to not be talking and being fluffed up/lethargic is making me fear the worst.
Thank you.

Ok the Carbondale one doesn't handle birds, just wing clips. Ugh this is horrible. I wish to god I could just drive then this wouldn't even be an issue.

- Sarah

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Sarah, I hope you can get this worked out

from what I understand - you are trying to get there with $$ for them, not to take him to the vet yourself?

if so, call the vet they are going to and arrange payment by phone - the dollar stores and mini marts sell those prepaid visa's for about $6 and you can load the funds on them and then give the info over the phone to the vet like a regular credit card

Can you tell your SIL over the phone how to set up a hospital type cage for him - you can drape 3 sides of his large cage with a blanket, move the perches/food/water down low and use a small heater by the cage for warmth until you can reach the vet today and make arrangements to get him there

:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Contact Jeanne at A Helping Wing....she is in Hopewell I think....she has connections and might be able to somehow help you.

A Helping Wing

They need to keep the cloacal area moist...really important. Can't they get him to a local vet since it is an emergency?

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
My sister in law is currently at the doctor with my nephew and will call me as soon as she gets home or as soon as she is able with her cell. I have found an avian vet an hour away from them who will take my credit card info over the phone to pay for the visit, if I don't have enough in the account they can hold a check from my sister in law and then I can get the rest of the money to them asap.
Thanks for the suggestion but the local vets there do not deal with birds and have only handled smaller birds, from what they said, for nail trims, wing clips, etc.. and I think stressing him out by bringing him to two vets would be worse than waiting to get him to a proper one. If I can possibly get down there to help in any way I can but there is going to allow them to moisten the area.. I would even have a problem doing that without toweling him or getting bitten to death, which is fine, he can bite me all he wants, but I can't do it from here.. :( I'm just waiting on a phone call now. I am also worried about my nephew who is sick as well :(

- Sarah

Last edited:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh ok...i will be thinking of all of you and checking for an update.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad you are at least able to get the payment part settled without having to try to take a trip - I know this is so hard for you

will be watching for an update as well

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Re: Likely Cloacal prolapse in 33-34 year old African Grey

Ok she is calling the vet to get the appointment now, depending on when the appointment is she may come and get me first. I may either go with her or stay at the house to watch the kids. I can also help to make him more comfortable if I'm there while we are waiting to take him so I better gather some stuff up for a hospital cage. My nephew is ok, it turns out its just a very nasty stomach bug.

She said the exposed part looks like a small round wet ball that comes out a little bit more when he makes noises and things, just like it would normally do when they talk and it's in the correct place.

This is horrible.. from everything I'm reading it sounds like a multiple surgery thing that oftentimes does not work and he is an old man and he's already been through so much with the horrible people who had him before me.. I'm starting to really worry that this is going to end with us having to put him down. I want to think positive, he is a tough little guy with an attitude but this sounds very bad.

When I was on the phone with her I could hear him making a few of his normal noises so maybe he's feeling a little better and the fact that the exposed area looks very moist is probably a good sign.

Thanks for the support guys.

- Sarah

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am praying for a good outcome in this....stay positive! :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Re: Likely Cloacal prolapse in 33-34 year old African Grey

glad to hear your nephew is going to be ok

sending prayers and healing energy for Tyler

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8: many prayers on the way..please keep us updated

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I hope everything turns out ok :hug8:

Yes, there are bad cases where surgery and multiple surgeries are necessary...but I've also had 2 with prolapses who hadn't had repeats (knock on wood for Lucky).

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Well I'm just sitting here waiting for my sister in law to call me back.. I got everything set up with a vet and they will be able to stabilize him and keep him over night to see the avian vet in the morning and then if it is what we think it is we can discuss surgery. But I am not sure what to think of that with him being older and with all my reading it seems like this type of thing keeps happening and keeps needing surgery. I know what that's like, I am still recovering from my 10th surgery, my guts too, and I don't think I want to put that sweet little boy through that. It's wonderful to hear that you have had birds that have made it through ok, Birdasaurus, I hope they continue to stay in good health.. but I really don't know what I should do if it comes to that. :(

- Sarah

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am glad to hear that you have been able to get an appointment with the vet - take it one step at a time and see what he says first and remember that we are here for you :hug2:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Make sure to ask what the "surgery" entails. We tend to think of these big operations, but on Lucky the procedure itself was VERY quick and she only needed two sutures.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that he will be ok :hug8:

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
He is ok so far, he had a cloacal prolapse, they sedated him, took blood, xrays, pushed it back in and sutured it.. he apparently has a collar on and is very angry about it.. and went HOME!!! I don't know all the details, will let you guys know tomorrow.. thanks:)

- Sarah

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thanks for the update Sarah - sounds like maybe you caught it time before it got too bad

please let us know how he does

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh good news! I hope he adjusts to the collar..I wonder why he has to wear it?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Well, that is good news for now, please keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.