• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Since Baltimore has swapped weather with the Pacific northwest, the rain has blocked a lot of the sunlight that used to flood our computer/bird room. I'd like to add a light that will come on during the middle of the day, on a timer. Are the "bird lights" worthwhile, or should I just use any old light? Thoughts?

whitewolf3307

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I use lights that are made for reptiles on mine I use the full spectrum lights that give off both A and B ultra violet light. My guys use to have stress bars on them until I started useing the lights. I find it cheaper and they least longer the the lights that are made for birds. I pay about $20 for the light and they last about year give or take a day.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This lighting for Reptiles has been the focus on parrots injuries to their eyes!
I wouldn't use this type....
I use full spectrum lighting 5000K 90 CRI
Sunsticks by Sylvannia...I have them on 48 inch shop light BALASTED fixtures...this opens up the WHOLE room for the birds to see and not just be in the shadows or a "spot light" on just them...Being doing this for YEARS!:hug8:
I use lights that are made for reptiles on mine I use the full spectrum lights that give off both A and B ultra violet light. My guys use to have stress bars on them until I started useing the lights. I find it cheaper and they least longer the the lights that are made for birds. I pay about $20 for the light and they last about year give or take a day.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
My guys use to have stress bars on them until I started useing the lights.
---------------------------------------

What type of birds?

I keep my birds (cockatiels) outside, and have occassionally seen a couple of stress bars pop up, but I didn't know that types of liighting or lack off could do this too. Any more info.

I'm working on a collage (below, incomplete right now) for my online albums and of interest has been stress and hunger marks...

Also, with the cinnamon mutation cockatiel (2nd pix) they can be phot-sensitive to UV rays, and also sunlight outdoors.

In reading your above comment it makes me wonder more on the benefits of lighting and the right types...

Attachments

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Lauren,

There has been much discussion over the yrs. on many of these bird boards about what lighting is best for our flock members. I have read most all of the papers & articles done about this subject.

One of the leading authorities on Full Spectrum Lighting for birds is/was Patrick Thrush. He started his own line of lighting products not too long ago (spectrabird.com) but every time I look at his website, it says it is down temporarily and it has been saying that for along time now. I last looked about a month or so ago. Don't have any idea about what is up with that.

Anyway, based on what his papers & research on the subject said (etc.), I chose to use Phillips 4 ft. long fluorescent tubes with a Kelvin rating of 5000 and a CRI # of 98 (highest possible in man made lighting). I use 2 tubes in a linear type shop light powered by an electronic ballast (don't use the magnetic ballasts). The tubes many of us over the yrs. chose to use are the Phillips F32T8TL950 tubes. Not easy to find, H.D. did not sell them before (not sure if they do at this time). You would have to Google where to buy them or someone on here may be able to tell you.

I do think they are worthwhile but I am no authority as I also keep my flock members outside yr. round, only bringing them in on a rotational basis for sometimes desired human interaction time. I only use the light tubes then but do not use them often enough or long enough to definitely say I see any marked improvement in my birds health or feather condition, etc.... I do keep canaries inside all the time and they seem to benefit greatly from the use of these tubes.

The general consensus if you are going to use indoor lighting for birds is not to use aquarium lights or reptile lights, etc. ... Use the best you can for birds and that is said to be the linear fluourescent tubes, not any screw-in type bulbs.

Try googling for more detailed info. or use the search feature on many of these bird boards to read the many discussions on this topic over the yrs. and then make your decision.

Since Baltimore has swapped weather with the Pacific northwest, the rain has blocked a lot of the sunlight that used to flood our computer/bird room. I'd like to add a light that will come on during the middle of the day, on a timer. Are the "bird lights" worthwhile, or should I just use any old light? Thoughts?

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I'm going to stick around this thread and see what sort of conclusions you all come to. I've noticed my female nanday conure, Polynesia, has rather tatty feathers, I believe it may be because they did not get a good variety of fresh foods and have not been introduced to any full-spectrum lighting. At all. So before I even considering putting a nestbox up for them, I'm going to get them into good health. So I would like to buy the best lighting system I can manage. :)

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
I'm looking into lighting as well. Does anyone have photos of their lighting set up? I am thinking of mounting some type of lights on the ceiling over my 2 parrot's cages. I especially want lighting for my Grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.