• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadesmom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mary Ann
We were thinking about putting a second window in the fid room, but With the construction and upheavel and smells, I think we will postpone that for a while. So, next step is some good avian lighting. My question is, I have a ceiling light / fan in there (I never used the fan so don't worry..) but you can screw 2 lightbulbs into the lighting part. Can I put avian bulbs in there? It would be so good as far as placement goes. Or do you need a special lamp? I could leave off the glass globe, or better yet, perhaps get a clear one. What is a good place to get just bulbs if this would work? I checked CA Bird Nerds, but didn't see any. Thanks in advance! :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I don't think it would hurt....but really the lighting should be closer to the birds. But if the bulbs fit, the lighting is probably a more natural light.

I also have a fan in my bird room that I never use. I might actually remove soon.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I just replaced all my light bulbs in the bird room light fixture with avian FSL.

Ginger

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
If they will fit in the sockets I don't see why not. I personally don't use FSL. I have windows in the bird room that lets in plenty of light. I have heard so many different things on the lighting issue. Good luck.

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
A bit confused on the lighting issue as well :confused:
Do most of you here use artificial lighting for your birds?
Tiki's cage is right next to a large sliding glass door...... I realize it is not the same.....Her feathers seem very bright and healthy though. Should I be using an Avian light also?? :confused:

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
I have one window and when they are out, it draws them all like a magnet. I know its not enough natural light. Any suggestions on where to get bulbs!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
There has been so much talk & discussion over the yrs. on so many of these Internet bird boards, about F.S. Lighting, that it makes one's head spin. LOL

My two cents & suggestion: Use the search feature on this site and even other bird related board sites to read a lot about FSL (to include the articles in the links provided in those threads) and make up your own mind. As far as I know, Patrick Thrush had done most of the research on the best quality F.S. Lighting to use for our birds. He then started up his own line of F.S. lighting products but soon afterwards kinda disappeared. I am not sure what happened to him or his line - anyone know?

Anyway, from all I read over the yrs., I personally came away with the belief that the best F.S. Lighting to use for our birds was linear fluorescent tubes with a CRI rating of 98 (natural sun is 100). And a Kelvin rating of 5,000 to 5,500. I personally would not even consider using screw in type bulbs of any kind due to all that I have read.

I and many bird keepers that I know had decided (from all the same & other stuff that we each read) to use Phillips F32T8TL950 tubes which I believe come in a 24", 36" & 48" length. We burn them in a simple white metal shop light fixture that uses an electronic ballast and which uses a downward reflector. The fixture we use holds two tubes (I use the 48" tubes) and has a chain-type pullstring on/off switch and a 7 ft. electrical cord which one plugs into a standard electrical outlet - after mounting safely and at the proper distance above the bird cage/flight.

I am sure there are outlets which sell the tubes separately but of course you get the best price by buying a whole box (25) at a time. You could share with one or two or etc. # of other board members maybe, if one did not have a large enough flock to use them all themself.

You can Google where to find the tubes. I ordered a whole box a few yrs. ago from Phillips thru Home Depot's on-line store, out of San Diego I believe it was.

I have always heard and read that sunlight thru pre-1939 window glass does not allow in/thru the beneficial properties of natural direct sunshine. So each of us can believe whomever we like but I personally will go by what the leading researcher said, until I read the findings of some other researcher who makes a convincing argument that contradicts Mr Thrush's findings.

Good luck with whatever you decide but please (for your bird's sake) read all you can on the subject before deciding and I suggest not to settle for less than the best specs out there.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
What PTB said- I don't have the phillips bulbs, but have two similar spec linear tubes in a shop light ballast that I hung/replaced the normal ceiling light with in my bird room. It does make a difference- it actually got one of my budgie hens to stop laying within a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.