• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting for Birds

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure and use a timer with it if you get one because the plug does not do well if pulled out of socket every day as I found out.
Oooppsss! I've been plugging it into a socket everyday. I should probably stop doing that. What timer do you use?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you see anything when you record the light on slow motion video? I’d like to buy one of these if it doesnt, every other light I’ve tried flickers on video :banghead:
I took a short video on my phone and played it back. Didn't see a single flicker.
EDIT: I played it back at 0.5x speed and nothing flickered

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is taking youtube a long time to process the second video. I have to go now as my schedule is busy today. I looked at the slow motion vid and there was no flickering.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I took a short video on my phone and played it back. Didn't see a single flicker.
EDIT: I played it back at 0.5x speed and nothing flickered
It is taking youtube a long time to process the second video. I have to go now as my schedule is busy today. I looked at the slow motion vid and there was no flickering.
Yay!!!! Thank you both, I just bought the light :D :bliss:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is the slow motion Make sure to have it on a timer.

Strange there is a voice and dog and music in my video and its not me. I don't have a dog!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my goodness... seems I have a lot of catching up to do here, in more ways than one.
1. I had no clue that phones will take slow motion vids! (I'll research that one in a bit I guess!)
2. From the 20 second mark until the end of your vid @Lady Jane I see definite flickering. (behind the scarf hanger thingy) Don't you all see that too?

Next... I wonder how conclusive these studies about UV light are - I mean, people have been caging birds and keeping them as pets for centuries, right?
I have some ultra bright LEDs in my room that I thought were helping the birds SEE at least... if they are not doing them much good, I could surely save myself the "police station vibes" by replacing them! :rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Keeping them for centuries doesn't mean keeping them well. It was only in the last decade or two that we realized all seed diets were bad!

Some more info on D3 Vitamin D3 for Our Birds

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Keeping them for centuries doesn't mean keeping them well. It was only in the last decade or two that we realized all seed diets were bad!

True that, Shawna! But hey, did you watch the 2nd vid (slo-mo) posted here by Lady Jane, and did you see the flickering? (Someone please tell me I didn't go nuts this Sunday morning... LOL) I SEE flickering!

Now going to read the link on Vitamin D3...

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
True that, Shawna! But hey, did you watch the 2nd vid (slo-mo) posted here by Lady Jane, and did you see the flickering? (Someone please tell me I didn't go nuts this Sunday morning... LOL) I SEE flickering!

I checked the video when you mentioned the flickering, and I still didn't see it.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola

No, you’re definitely not going nuts!! I see it as well, on the left above the light on the wall (not directly focused on the light itself). It almost looks like a video twitch. This flicker rate is WAY better than the lights I use in my room though!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
No, you’re definitely not going nuts!! I see it as well, on the left above the light on the wall (not directly focused on the light itself). It almost looks like a video twitch. This flicker rate is WAY better than the lights I use in my room though!

Oh THANK you Nola! :) I didn't want to be the only one who saw it, ya know? @soleaux

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes you can see a flicker reflection on the wall. When I look directly into the cage with the light on there is no flickering I can see but the wall is seeing it. What does that really mean to the birds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds can see "faster" than us. So while the flicker is too fast for us to see, birds can see it at all times.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yes you can see a flicker reflection on the wall. When I look directly into the cage with the light on there is no flickering I can see but the wall is seeing it. What does that really mean to the birds?

I wondered the same - someone said psychological problems in one post here (?)...
I have read something about strobe lights causing folks with some disorders problems.
Gee, I don't know!