• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting for Birds

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So is this something I should put on my worry list?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
If you have access to a window in your bird room, natural lighting is your best bet. I try to minimize the amount of artificial light they’re exposed to by leaving the lights off in the bird room all the time (fortunate to have really large windows) but, this obviously isn’t completely possible when they come out in the evenings.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We make sure our guys' pellets have D3 and we use 2 kinds of bulbs, a regular and a full-spectrum just because one is too glaring and the other seems yellow by comparison. We also open the blinds during the day to let some natural light in, so now I'm hoping that makes the flickering less noticeable. Also, would the multiple sources flicker at the same time?

I wonder if there's any kind of converter that the lamps could be plugged into to make the current direct instead of alternating. :chin:And if so, could you still use the same lamps?

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
We make sure our guys' pellets have D3 and we use 2 kinds of bulbs, a regular and a full-spectrum just because one is too glaring and the other seems yellow by comparison. We also open the blinds during the day to let some natural light in, so now I'm hoping that makes the flickering less noticeable. Also, would the multiple sources flicker at the same time?

I wonder if there's any kind of converter that the lamps could be plugged into to make the current direct instead of alternating. :chin:And if so, could you still use the same lamps?
Multiple sources would all flicker in tandem, since it’s the source of electricity and how it’s supplied that causes the flickering, and not the lightbulb itself. So it wouldn’t be like.. a crazy mish mash of different strobe light flashes, but I suppose a more pronounced single one :chin:

My initial feeling is that there isn’t a converter unless it lets the current build up or charge or something.. a DC would need to be a change at the source. But if there was one, you could use the same lamp. Will do some research and see what I can find...

Edit: @faislaq i found this Alternating Current vs. Direct Current - DecksDirect and it looks like there’s some sort of transformer but you have to change your electrical wiring setup. Most other pages were so jargony, makes my head spin!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Multiple sources would all flicker in tandem, since it’s the source of electricity and how it’s supplied that causes the flickering, and not the lightbulb itself. So it wouldn’t be like.. a crazy mish mash of different strobe light flashes, but I suppose a more pronounced single one :chin:

My initial feeling is that there isn’t a converter unless it lets the current build up or charge or something.. a DC would need to be a change at the source. But if there was one, you could use the same lamp. Will do some research and see what I can find...

My understanding is that fluorescents flicker slower (120 times per second) than an LED bulb (which I have seen listed as "low" as 400 times per second)

Which lamp will be optimum to eye? Incandescent, fluorescent or LED etc

The Scientific Reason You Don't Like LED Bulbs—and the Simple Way to Fix Them - Scientific American

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola

My understanding is that fluorescents flicker slower (120 times per second) than an LED bulb (which I have seen listed as "low" as 400 times per second)

Which lamp will be optimum to eye? Incandescent, fluorescent or LED etc

The Scientific Reason You Don't Like LED Bulbs—and the Simple Way to Fix Them - Scientific American
You are totally right!!

Along that vein, looks like there are DC and AC lightbulbs too. I keep seeing contradictory information, like if the bulb is mismatched to the current type it won’t work properly, but then some articles say that it works — just is converted to a different type. Confusing :wtf:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
... or carpentry, or psychology, or become a master chef! :shocked4:
:hammer: . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . :hellskitchen:
And biology and pharmacy :laugh: