• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lighting for Bebe's cage

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I've always used something like this for lights above Bebe's cage:

20211020_174740.jpg
But I have found something so much better. They are called Globe Suite smart plugs. No hub required and works with Amazon Alexa too. 20211020_174232~2.jpg Here is how they work, you buy the plug at a retail store (got mine at Walgreens) or from Amazon. You get the app installed on your phone from Google Play (free app). You will need Wi-Fi connection. Plug in the "timer" (bottom outlet) 20211020_174406.jpg either by scan or manually. It may take a couple of times for it to upload. Once it's upload you can program a schedule in for when it turns on and when it turns off. But the lights will come on at a precise time and off at a precise time.
This is Bebe's schedule Screenshot_2021-10-20-18-02-10.png
I did this for lighting in my living room and bedroom also. You can also turn lights, heater or whatever on and off from your phone.
No more juggling after power outage trying get the schedule precisely right again.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm glad you find these devices useful. I have been using similar devices for a while now. With mine once the times are programmed they'll operate even without wifi.
Screenshot_2021-10-21-14-09-33-31_a3b3f7ff182fbca1933b088238f0f0da.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-21-14-10-47-73_a3b3f7ff182fbca1933b088238f0f0da~2.jpg

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
What happens when the power goes out? Does it have battery back up to keep track of the settings at least? Will it reschedule itself to current time once the wifi comes back on or do you need to manually go in and reset it?

have not used any Rod those but may be handy if we have to go away for a couple of days, though we usually take Bailey with us…

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I haven't had power failure yet, so don't know. But old one, stop froze and then I'm under his cage fiddling around trying to reset the timer. My back can't take that under the cage thing anymore.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
We have timer that we use on the deck with our watering system for the plants, and it has battery back up but its not wifi or smart in any other ways, so just wondered...thanks for the info, will have to look into it...

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What happens when the power goes out? Does it have battery back up to keep track of the settings at least? Will it reschedule itself to current time once the wifi comes back on or do you need to manually go in and reset it?
When you unplug them they operated as normal when power is restored. There is clearly some nvram in them for the wifi settings but I don't know about the timer settings (it's possible).

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Mind has timer, on and off, vacation mode, auto off, plus scheduling mode.