• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting-Can parrots get migraines ?

HannahBean

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I have a lovebird that plucks chronically. We’ve checked off the list from everything from the avian vet, diet, enrichment, vitamin d ect...
I noticed that while in her flight cage outdoors in sunny days she hides her face in the ridges of her hammock I made for her (shes only gets it under supervision)-shes not in her hammock, just perching under it and placing her head in the folds with her eyes closed. I thought it was cute at first and assumed she was just taking a nap. But it began to become more regular.

I had a hunch that direct light was bothering her. I covered half of her long/wide indoor cage with a cotton table cloth and she seems to enjoy being able to get out of the light when she choses.

-does anyone have any experience/knowledge about parrots getting migraines or light sensitivity?

-Im also not concluding the reason is “ migraines” of some sort, it could possibly be a need for Seclusion /a place to hide when stressed.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know about migraines, but parrots can and do get headaches. My vet said that if a bird shakes his head a lot that he may have a headache.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Giving them an NSAID (such as Meloxicam or Celebrex) is the same as us taking an aspirin.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Florescent lighting may flicker to her. Take a video in slow speed and see if it flickers from your lighting.

"Although the illumination from such lighting usually appears constant to humans, as the lamp flicker rate, commonly 100-120 Hz, is greater than human CFF (i.e. 60 Hz; Brundett, 1974) the flickering of fluorescent lamps may be apparent to some birds, which, as a consequence may experience general stress and impaired welfare (Greenwood et al., 2004;Nuboer et al., 1992;Prescott et al., 2003). ... "

HannahBean

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Do you feed buckwheat sprouts or buckwheat greens?

The green parts of the buckwheat plant contain a toxin which can cause photosensitivity. Buckwheat seeds are safe.
yes I have given her buckwheat seeds before. That is so interesting! Ill be sure to avoid the actual plant as I have some growing in the backyard now. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you feed buckwheat sprouts or buckwheat greens?

The green parts of the buckwheat plant contain a toxin which can cause photosensitivity. Buckwheat seeds are safe.
Very interesting!