• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lighting and Destructive Birds question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
New York also is having cold, wet, and miserable weather. We are lucky to get 10hrs of sunshine a week :(

Many of you have larger cageless birds; how do you keep them from destoying the full-spectrum lights and cords.

My cockatoos are very persistent. They seem very attracted to the light fixtures themself.

They have unscrewed the cage I built around it; have chew the PVC tube that I ran the wires in. No matter what, it seems to be an attractive nuisance.

It is getting dark in the NorthEast by 4:30pm. The birds want to go to bed. That is way too early.

They can't really sleep for 16-17 hours, can they?

I want to add artificial light but they even chew on the high hats in the play area; if I turn them on. My high hats get really hot; licking and chewing them cannot be good. So I don't turn them on.

They are drawn to any light fixture I use except for the small table lamps.

But the table lamps don't give off enough light to convince them that it is not bedtime. Or provide the lighting that they need for their health.

I am at a loss of what else to try. They treat every lighting invention as a foraging activity; they keep at it until they win :(

Status
Not open for further replies.