• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Light green bird poop

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hey guys, my bird just pooped and the coloration seems different, the feces is a bright green. I am a huge stress case so I had to ask you guys, is this ok? Thanks! D41CD803-8602-40C9-8ADF-88698B54558C.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Chase :)

Does your bird eat lots of seeds? or colourful pellets? Or lots of spinach?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Chase, can you tell us more about your bird? What kind of bird do you have? How old are they and what is your bird's normal diet?

Have they eaten anything green - particularly fresh foods? Any wood dyed green that they may have chewed? Any green-dyed pellets?

Is this the first green poo they have done?

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Welcome to the Avenue Chase :)

Does your bird eat lots of seeds? or colourful pellets? Or lots of spinach?

I am currently feeding them a seed diet, I know it is unhealthy but I am a kid and I ran out of money. I’m getting pellets next week. So yes he eats a lot of seeds and some colored pellets. image.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those blue things look weird! And thos small elongated green things.

But this seed diet could cause the intense green poops. Try offering some veggies to balance the diet, carrots, peppers etc You can give a little of whatever your parents are cooking, just cut a small piece before cooking dinner.

Keep your eye on your birds and look out for any signs of illness; lethargy, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of appetite, more fights than usual etc Anything that is out of the norm.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the blue things are coated hulled sunflower seeds. Those and the green pellets look like they'd contain enough dye to colour the poo. Do you know what your bird eats out of the mix?

I would be inclined to pick the blue and green pellets and coated seeds out of the mix and see if the poo is more normal. Put plain paper on the cage floor so you can see the colour more easily.

Try offering some veggies to balance the diet, carrots, peppers etc You can give a little of whatever your parents are cooking, just cut a small piece before cooking dinner.
Make sure you feed safe foods. Onions, garlic, avocado and rhubarb are on the "no" list. I also don't feed tomatoes or mushrooms. There's a useful list of safe foods here: Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More

See if you can feed some cooked grains like quinoa, wholegrain couscous or brown rice (not white rice). You can also try giving some cooked lentils, mung beans or adzuki beans.

This is a good guide to pellets for when you are able to buy some. Try to choose a pellet that doesn't contain artificial colourings or sweetenings.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think the blue things are coated hulled sunflower seeds.
Yea that is what they look like to me too. Just very odd looking.

I would be inclined to pick the blue and green pellets and coated seeds out of the mix and see if the poo is more normal
That is a good idea, especially those green things.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The neon blue seeds are dyed safflower seeds still in their shell. A few companies in the US dye them, but I have never understood why.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe they think the blue will entice parrots to try them?
That is a better explanation than anything that I could think of.