• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Light Feather Patch Behind Head

RogersMom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephanie White
Roger is spending a bit more time in a cage than ever before after recovering from a leg injury. I noticed this patch behind his head the other day and am a little worried it could be anxious plucking, or something worse. I am occasionally finding tiny, white down feathers at the bottom of the cage. He also could be molting as he seems generally happy and healthy. He eats fruits and veggies and gets regular showers.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!

Can you grab some pictures of the side of the bird? Something I want to check out to better answer your question.

How old is the bird? where do you live (Ill check your seasonal metric pressure).

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Please make sure there is good lighting as well.

RogersMom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephanie White
He is 13. We live in coal creek canyon, Colorado. He has been under a bit of stress recently due to 6 weeks cage rest in a small container. He is now back in large cage now and was just examined thoroughly by a vet 3 weeks ago. Thanks for your help. 20200226_200010.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, Roger is a cutie!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
What a cutie!!!!

Ok, I see some pigment issues. The feathers of eclectus are very unique and will actually get dark edges, starting around the back of the neck, leading to down feather loss. It can also be environmental stress- but more than likely they go hand-in-hand.

That black color (it’s mild on your little angel) was actually thought to be a variation in species- but actually it is from digestive upset- common cause of plucking and self mutilation.

In Australia MS (like myself) are trying to create a pattern index to visually correlate advancement of such pigment loss with age. It’s been found that often this can occur most often with ‘middle aged’ birds. We assume it is because of the slow progression (just like you can’t get alcoholic fatty liver overnight, it’s gradual, however certain factors can aggravate it).

Veterinarians do not go through nutrition training (or if they we- we had 1 day sponsored but a pet food company, ugh). Especially with eclectus. Ask anyone on this forum and they will agree ‘my vet said to feed pellets’- which is great for grand Prius birds like African greys. But eclectus have a very different digestive tract and more frugorius as their body processes energy from fructose and flu loss rather than fat (like other parrots).

increased fiber and decreasedwater content (from a pellet diet) ensures that the immune system becomes compromised- which leads to minor dkin irritationthat can promoteplucking, etc. furthermore pellets are fortified, which can also have health implications.

Try serving at least 60% fruit, and the rest steamed or par boiled veggies (sweet potato, carrot (lots of vitamin A) broccoli, greens and a bit of hard boiled egg bits once and awhile to rebuild the feathers.

emotional trams can highly impact health, especially through diet. So give him as much love as possible and provide lots of dietary enrichment and foraging activities: whole pieces of fruit with seeds stuck inside, etc

I’m on my mobile in a rush, so I apologize for grammar and spelling issues.