• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lifestyle match

zaccheus

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
zac
HI
I have done lots of research and reading but i can't find any specific answers to my question of if a caique suits my lifestyle. i spend 6-7 hours a day in school and i also occasionally have a tutor after school (once a week) but apart from that i have at least 2-3 hours to devote to out of the cage play time, obviously this may change some days when i have more time but that is the minimal normal amount of time i have day to day. i also have access to a high quality diet of pellets and chop and treats plus a large cage. i have read a lot that they are not for beginners and only recommended to people with medium experience, i don't have "no" experience as i currently have a blue quaker and have previously had a gcc and the usual cockatiels and budgies is this enough? under no circumstances am i banking on the blue quaker and caique getting on or even being out of their cages at the same time, is there anything else i should take precautions with? so i guess my main question is do i have enough time for one as i have read that they are very good at entertaining themselves with lots of toys in the cage for a little while however other places say that they are extremely demanding and need to constantly be entertained by you and are very very needy. or any other bad aspects of them that i need to look out for?
thanks let me know!

:quakerb: ziggy

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are your plans once you leave school? You won't be in school forever and it is very hard to juggle a parrot's needs with college work, an apprenticeship or a full-time job.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Laurie is my go to Caique lady :)

zaccheus

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
zac
What are your plans once you leave school? You won't be in school forever and it is very hard to juggle a parrot's needs with college work, an apprenticeship or a full-time job.
i plan on going to college however the actual college isn't far away so i wouldn't have to move out or anything plus i have been told that the course i plan on doing is heavily based on work from home which means that i probably won't be going into college everyday.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
i plan on going to college however the actual college isn't far away so i wouldn't have to move out or anything plus i have been told that the course i plan on doing is heavily based on work from home which means that i probably won't be going into college everyday.
I vote for focusing on the one parrot you have now (if the one in your signature is a current pet) and getting through college and finding more stability before getting a second parrot. These next few years of your life will be incredibly busy, unpredictable and ever-changing, and it would behoove you to focus your time and energy on that personal growth and development.

Good luck.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Very good advise MnGuy. In my experience, my 20s were probably my most turbulent. Best to be somewhat settled before adding a caique. They do require a lot of attention, but are awesome birds!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I would not say that having one caique is not do able but I believe that having a pair that can play with one another goes a very long way in keeping them happy. That being said if you have two to keep each other company then you will have no trouble with the amount of attention you can give them if they have a large cage, toys and foraging opportunities.

With only one it may be more of a challenge to keep them busy. I always keep mine in pairs, at least so far. I have actually not ever had a single. I have boy/girl pairs, had 2 girls for a year and half before I added two more boys, I keep babies in groups and I have breeding pairs and non breeding pairs. So all first hand knowledge is with pairs or groups and I have avoided all the attention seeking and screaming behaviors so far. They are definitely very stubborn, can be moody and can produce a lot of noise but can also be loads of fun.