• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lifespan?

Oldest poi you've met or owned?

• 20+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30+

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 40+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sydney Harris

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sydney Harris
So i was doing research about the poi's more specifically the Senegal and meyers parrot and I was seeing a huge age range. Various sources said 20 to 30 years while others said 30 to 50 years. I get very attached to my pets so I'm hoping 30+ years! Can any poi owners tell me the oldest Poi you've seen or owned?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
32 was the oldest I had heard of

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you have super husbandry skills your bird may live to be 50. If you have terrible husbandry skills you could probably kill that bird under 10 years old.

You can have the best husbandry skills in the world but your bird has a genetic disposition causing it to die at a young age. You can be a hoarder and keep that bird in terrible conditions and yet is (reasonably) healthy and lives a long life because it comes from a very strong bloodline.

So you see this has more to do with the genetic cards you were dealt. Super husbandry is a bonus.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also accidents... You can be the best bird keeper in the world with the most genetically perfect bird in the world and still lose them to an accident, sadly!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lifespan depends on different factors as noted above. My Senegal, Jake, is 33 and two of my red-bellied parrots, Lucy and Ricky, are @31-32 years old.

Sydney Harris

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sydney Harris
Lifespan depends on different factors as noted above. My Senegal, Jake, is 33 and two of my red-bellied parrots, Lucy and Ricky, are @31-32 years old.
Is Jake from a breeder or wild caught? Apparently that makes a difference but I dont intend on getting a wild caught sennie.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
As was already stated by experience keepers in this forum, husbandry practice is a key contributor to lifespan. Diet, exercise, life enrichment these all play an important part. Sometimes birds, like humans, can have genetic illnesses or are more susceptible to cancers and tumors. Keep in mind that there isn't an easy answer to a question like lifespan, so many factors.

I am not sure of your location, but there may be a parrot rescue in your area. I have heard of Ginger's Parrots and she specializes in Senegal parrots.
Ginger's Parrots Rescue - Specializing in Senegal Parrots and Cockatiels

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is Jake from a breeder or wild caught? Apparently that makes a difference but I dont intend on getting a wild caught sennie.
Jake is from a breeder. I got him when he was 3 mos. old.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I'm having the same issue trying to find Cape parrot lifespan. Im just looking for an average lifespan in the wild to get a general idea. Im not trying to factor in genetic disposition and husbandry. That'd be impossible to factor in! Especially, when I cant even get a general lifespan.

Good luck to us finding it out!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I can't remember the user who just lost Silas the Senegal, but she adopted 3 very old Senegals recently. I want to say they were almost 30?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I imagine they can make 40...least 30 but its all in diet & care & luck...like everything,,,

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
I can't remember the user who just lost Silas the Senegal, but she adopted 3 very old Senegals recently. I want to say they were almost 30?
That was me.

My new Sennies are 28, 31, 31, and 32. I’m an admin for the Senegal Parrot Pets Facebook group and we have several in their 30s, 40s, and even a couple in their 50s

In the wild, Senegal lifespan is generally 25-30 years, and is longer in captivity, BUT wild and wild caught birds are genetically much healthier than captive-bred. Like others have said, it really depends on a number of factors like husbandry, diet and exercise, vet care, accidents, disease, etc. Because of this I t’s really hard to narrow lifespan down to a concrete number for any species, but for Sennies I would say 30-50 years.