• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life Hack for Budgie Owners

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I don't know if this applies to other birds as well, so I'll just stick it where I know it'll help other people! :D I have three budgies, and that means I technically own three little messes. I clean out the removable pan in their cage about every other day or every two days depending on how busy I am, and I used to use Nature's Miracle and a paper towel to get all of the mess out of there but I came up with a better way!
My birds aren't very sensitive to noise because I'm constantly watching anything from Bob's Burgers to Pirates of the Caribbean in my room when I'm around them. So when I take their removable tray out to replace the newspaper and clean, I just get out the vacuum and suck all of the molted feathers, seed husks, torn apart shredder toys, etc. and then use Nature's Miracle to scrub and disinfect! It saves me cleaning agents, and time and it's super easy to do. So if your bird isn't sensitive to noise like mine and can handle the loudness of the vacuum I recommend it!

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
I was able to do this with my old budgie due to desensitization through leaving NPR on when I went to school but my new budgie, Rupert has not been accustom to it yet

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Also - if you're looking to get lighter waste (feathers, seed husks, etc.) to not disperse everywhere while you're taking newspaper or cage liner out, mist it down with water using a spray bottle. Budgies are definitely little messes - I don't know how they can shed so many white fluffs in so little time :D

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Also - if you're looking to get lighter waste (feathers, seed husks, etc.) to not disperse everywhere while you're taking newspaper or cage liner out, mist it down with water using a spray bottle. Budgies are definitely little messes - I don't know how they can shed so many white fluffs in so little time :D

That's so smart! I'll have to do that next time thank you!
I know, I go to school and I find white fluffs in the pockets of my clean jeans even! :D:laugh: They're totally worth it though!

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
That is a really good idea! I am not sure my little Larry would like the noise though.

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
@Sky&Sunshine Birds are messy, and those of us who choose to keep them indoors deal with seed husks, thrown pellets, fluffs from molting, and discarded foods. My tip was just helpful to those who'd rather keep a clean house and do it quickly. :)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
My grandma sent me a little handheld dirt devil to help clean around my birds, and it is a lifesaver! I do the same as you. :) It is especially helpful with my two bigger boys, to get the dust out of their trays. It saves so much time! :mariecleans:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My three are alright with the vacuum as well, I agree it does help tons for cleaning; especially when they're molting. :faint:

My cheekie I swear has the goal of making the most mess possible each day. :lol:
I can't imagine the mess the bigger guys can make. :wideyed:

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
@Sylvi_ That's hilarious! :lol: When I feed my budgies their fresh foods (like green and such) they flip it everywhere and it ends up on the walls and the floors and I spend so much time scrubbing. Maybe birds are better than dumb-bells for upper arm workouts? :laugh::p