• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Life expectancy of a Caique

Steff

Meeting neighbors
I like to read up on my caique Nancy but I have been to a few sight that have given different life expectancy for them so could someone tell me what it is. I feel so bad talking about it but I have read 27-40 and 20 years just curious. Now I must go cry in a corner just thinking about it. :crycry:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have always heard 20-40 years. I have personally heard of many who are over 20. The oldest living caique I have personally heard of is 34.

Caiques are becoming more common so I think in the coming years we will hear of many more who are getting up in years.

Ewk

Checking out the neighborhood
My black headed caique is currently alive at 30yrs 8 mos.

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
I am just curious about caiques, what are they like to live with? Are they affectionate? Do they have loud voices or are they prone to biting? I don't know one but they do come onto rescue group sites from time to time.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am just curious about caiques, what are they like to live with? Are they affectionate? Do they have loud voices or are they prone to biting? I don't know one but they do come onto rescue group sites from time to time.
The good, the bad, and the ugly about caiques should answer some of your questions. As far as I'm aware (and not having a caique myself) they can be very high-energy, temperamental and more bird than many people can handle. With the right person they can thrive (see @Irishj9 for some examples) but sadly, there are reasons why so many are seeking a new home.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@tka has the right of it, they’re affectionate but they do bite. Mine only scream at dawn and dusk, but they will imitate me saying ‘ssssh’ for about 20 minutes so it’s not that bad. They talk in strange little voices, they LOVE to be on you but don’t like to be petted. They are more demanding than lots of other species.
Also they tend not to get along with other birds. Mine have made it difficult, not only do they not live in the bird room but I cant even take them in there to clean or visit. That used to be their play room. Now it forces me to split my time even further.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
@westvan gal Many people who have caiques try to keep just caiques because it eliminates possible complications of interspecies interactions. At least if two caiques get into a battle they are evenly matched which helps to limit possible injuries. I have six caiques and they all get along with at least 1 or more of the other caiques they do not get along with all of the other caiques.

I love caiques and they are the perfect bird for me but everyone is different.

If you plan to get any parrot (especially a caique) I would definitely work on positive reinforcement training techniques because you can not force a caique to do anything they do not want to do but bribery will get you almost anywhere you want to go with your parrot :)

I would describe caiques as best kept in multiples even if they don't all get along, high energy, feisty, spirited, stubborn, demanding and fun.

If your idea of an ideal bird is calm, low key, sweet, easy going then a caique is not for you. Some people may use some of these words in describing a caique but in general that's not what I would say.

My Peaches (white-bellied) is pretty sweet but also, high energy, pushy and stubborn but in a more gentle way than other caiques.

It's really hard to give advice but hopefully this helps.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
What Laurie said, and I have 8 caiques. Currently sleeping in 6 cages.....