• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Letting you go, Lenny.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have dreaded this inevitable moment. But I owe this post to all of you who have provided me with such support and have shown such a thoughtfulness towards Lenny. I am in awed of all of you who have put your own problems aside to assist in the safe recovery of my little bird. You have been encouraging not to mention incredibly helpful And I know you all have been rooting for Lenny every step of the way. I wish I could give each and every one of you, better news.

Lenny has to this date, not been found, and I doubt he ever will be. It is time to let him go.

I have never spoken much about my animal companions so please bare with me as I describe Lenny.

I have always joked that when it came to looks Lenny was nothing to write home about. He was a dull greyish purple color, scrawny in built, and was the runt of his flock. In other words, he was as plain as mud.

But what he didn't have in looks he made up for in personality. He was the James Cagney in birds, feisty, head strong, inquisitive. He was Egg's loyal friend, and her, protector. When my youngest cat would fly at their cage, Egg would beat it to the back. But not Lenny, he would come out swinging and that feline would get an earful. He never would back down, not to me, not to any cat, not to any bird.

When I first got Lenny and Egg another parakeet came with them. He was by far the prettiest and I named him Star for the white shape star on his turquoise back. Lenny would always pick a fight with Star and would usually be the one who ended up at the bottom of the cage. Humiliated, Lenny would then have to admit defeat and begrudgingly make his way back up. His attitude remained defiant.

Lenny's empty cage stills stands in the hallway with it's top off. I left it there in the hopes that Lenny would return. For the better part of last week I swear I could still hear him anxiously flutter about every time I passed that cage. So sure I was of hearing that vibration and sensing his presence that I would always stop to look inside. Of course there was nothing and one day it stopped. With it's sudden cessation I know Lenny has finally moved on.

I know you are so much happier, Lenny. You are free from the cage that confined you, free from any fears of cats, and free to live your life as you want.

I am so proud to have known you, and I wish you nothing but the best, my friend.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You have me in tears. I loved reading about Lenny and i know that was difficult to write. The writing will help in letting go. Can you share a photo of him? I am truly sorry he is gone.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You have me in tears. I loved reading about Lenny and i know that was difficult to write. The writing will help in letting go. Can you share a photo of him? I am truly sorry he is gone.

I am so sorry for all who were championing the safe return of that little bird. Thank you, Lady Jane, for the time you unselfishly gave to Lenny. I think you would have gotten such a kick out of him. Star and Egg were the king and queen, with Lenny as the jester. But he did it with style. I know how much you love these little guys and I know you would have loved Lenny.

I am ashamed to admit that I was kind of blasé when it came to the parakeets, I thought they would be around forever. Meeting you has instilled the knowledge in me that they are their own little unique beings and should be treated with the utmost respect.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you, finchly.

I chose not to tell my littlest nephew of what my thoughts are. Instead I told him I saw Lenny outside with all of the other birdies, giving them all heck, and acting like the king of the roost. And who knows, just maybe he is.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish it wasn't true. I hope you are safe and happy, Lenny, wherever that may be. :sorrow:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This was so emotionally difficult to read, as I felt every single ounce of your love for your Lenny. I wish this outcome could have been different for you. I'm so very sorry.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Even though you are letting him go, I know he will be that little cloud of wonder for quite a while. It's good that you have wonderful memories of the little King of the flock. Thanks for sharing his personality with us. Hugs..

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh that was so hard to read through all the tears. That must have been very difficult for you to write, it was a lovely description of Lenny and it is so easy to feel the love and concern you have for him. Thank you so very much for sharing this information about Lenny the jester, it was nice to think of him in happier times with all his attitude and personality :)
I am sorry that you have not managed to find out exactly what happened to him and I hope you choose to think that he got outside and has made some friends and is happy (like you told your nephew). Just imagine him out there having a wow of a time being the jester for all his new little friends.
I hope you are able to come to terms with the loss and get to a place where you know you did everything within your power to ensure his safety.