• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lets solve this mystery --> African Grey in apartment: who has done that?

nikolakis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nikos Nikos
Hi all,

I have done tons of research on that topic... some people say that you should never have a Grey in an apartment (as they are too loud) some others say that this is absolutely fine unless the walls are very thin. But, can the people that have tried having a Grey in a house, answer me the following questions:
Question 1: what is their experience of having a Grey in an apartment - are neighbors complaining? will the parrots scream in the middle of the night? Are there tricks to make them stop screaming in case they do when its night time?
Question 2: Also, if they are left alone (e.g., once the owners are at work) are the Greys more vulnerable to be loud?

My dream since the last decade has been to get a Grey. Now, I live in an apartment in SF, CA with my partner. and I want to make this dream reality... but I want to hear poeple that tried this - what was their experience of having Grey inside an apartment?

PS: My apartment walls are normal and the complex has only four apartment that are relatively far to each other.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Talk with your neighbors.
Ask how they'd feel when your bird lets loose.
Even quiet birds have their daily moments.
It's the ones you live next to that you need to talk with.
Some folk will love your bird (if introduced) others will hate any noises at all.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Maybe check with a rescue. Louise is a quiet bird, neighbors would never hear her. Some are quiet, some, well get earplugs! A rescue might have or know of a bird well suited for an apartment. Louise sleeps through the night. No noise at all. When it is dark, they pretty much sleep. Many cover a cage to keep a bird quiet-- but is a very bad practice to keep them covered also during the day just to keep them quiet, it would likely lead to self mutilation.
I have a camera on Louise, when I am gone, she is a perch potato. Sometimes will talk at a human level, mostly sleeps and snacks.

Good luck and welcome!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
My adopted Grey Scooter has been in our apartment for almost four years now with no problems. She isn't all that noisy, except when she lets loose with her smoke detector impression. I've talked to my neighbors about her and described some of the louder sounds she makes so they'd know what to expect. They're used to the strange beeps and boops coming from my apartment and nobody has been bothered by them. QP Ralph's occasional alarm calls are at least as loud as any of Scooter's sounds and nobody has been bothered by those either. Fortunately, neither parrot is a screamer so that's never been an issue. Actually, there are small children and dogs in the building that make more noise than my two parrots combined.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I currently have a CAG and he is not very loud, a few times he has squawked so loud it scared the ba heebie jeezes out of me when he attacks his bell. Other then that he repeats his words to me, "What you doin Paco, Paco is a pretty bird, squawks, whistles, chatters, and hoots like an owl." He is not chattery if I am not home, my room mate says he barely makes a sound until I come home. I feel that parrots are social creatures and if its quiet they are quiet. When I had the stomach bug, I laid down and Paco must have sense the the quiet, cause he just sat on top of his cage and preened and took a nap.

I did have a White Front Amazon and she was louder then Paco is. I mean she screamed and you could hear her blocks away. Even in the house I currently live in. I lived with her in a townhouse and an apartment and my neighbors got a kick out of her. I was worried about the town house since they could hear even music but my neighbor told me she loved her screeching it made her think of being in the tropics. I think most people find parrots fascinating and are afraid of them as well. I've had parrots for 40 years, the first question every single person asks me is "Don't they keep you awake at night screaming and chirping.? Nooo they go to bed at night time like every creature does, it cracks me up the lack of knowledge people have of parrots.

Good luck!

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
An option that you could do is curve the behaviour so that instead of screaming you can teach them to ring a bell. I did it with my birds and its insanely easy to teach. I have also never owned any big birds so other than a sun conure at a place I did a zoology program I have never really heard any of the larger parrots screaming. Either way teaching them to ring a bell could prevent at least SOME of the screaming especially if its paired with background noise like a tv/radio and lots of toys and enrichment

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have no experience with a Grey so I have nothing to offer to help you decide other than asking "Do either you or your partner have allergies to dust or any compromised breathing issues? Greys are Old World birds and produce a lot of dust that affects people who are prone to allergies to fine dust particles. Thought I'd throw that in there if you didn't know. A high quality air filter machine is a must.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I have a TAG and live in the apartment. None of my neighbours know that I have a bird. It is a standard building with average walls - not particullary thin or thick. Edgar is not a noisy bird. Of course he screams sometimes, but this happens quite seldom and is no that loud. Mostly he talks or makes some other sounds but those are not unpleasant to the ear and not very loud.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have an African Grey, but 2 cockatiels. They have their morning screamthon and weirdly enough you can hear it from the street but apparently not from my neighbours' apartments. I'm not even sure they know I have birds. I didn't even realise my upstairs neighbours had a newborn baby until he was a few weeks old!

It probably comes down to how well insulated the flat is. If your share a wall with your neighbours and its quite thin then they will probably hear a lot. Our neighbours live above and below us so we never hear much.

Is there anybody you know with a bird that would let you "bird sit" for a few days? It might give you an idea, even if it isn't an African Grey.

scott199

Walking the driveway
I think the problem you will face is the massive difference between all grey's our's is generally extremely quiet except whistles and chatter and the odd few words, im sat next to him now and my wife yapping in the kitchen is louder (might be lockdown making her louder :p)

anyway, he does have his moments of noise when he wants attention or something unknown to me, but its certainly not what I call loud, he doesn't do any morning or night calls, he whistles for attention and as long as we whistle back he's happy, if he knows your around and you don't whistle back he gets louder and louder until you do.

so its all down to the bird itself and also training.

john frum

Moving in
Hi all,

I have done tons of research on that topic... some people say that you should never have a Grey in an apartment (as they are too loud) some others say that this is absolutely fine unless the walls are very thin. But, can the people that have tried having a Grey in a house, answer me the following questions:
Question 1: what is their experience of having a Grey in an apartment - are neighbors complaining? will the parrots scream in the middle of the night? Are there tricks to make them stop screaming in case they do when its night time?
Question 2: Also, if they are left alone (e.g., once the owners are at work) are the Greys more vulnerable to be loud?

My dream since the last decade has been to get a Grey. Now, I live in an apartment in SF, CA with my partner. and I want to make this dream reality... but I want to hear poeple that tried this - what was their experience of having Grey inside an apartment?

PS: My apartment walls are normal and the complex has only four apartment that are relatively far to each other.
I am in a 1 bedroom jnr apartment and have an African Grey - George. Check city bylaws - where I live African Greys are not banned from apartments. George doesn't scream. He never has, unless you try to towel him. Not any louder than a barking dog.
They are not too loud. BUT - my apartment was built in the 70s and has concrete walls. I don't hear TVs etc, and in 5 years of having my bird NO complaints - and I have asked. Peiople say they can hear the bird whistle or make noise if they are in the hallway outside my apartment, only then. Geroge NEVER screams at night. Strangely, he is silent all night... but as soon as I am awake, and until he goes to bed, he makes noises most of the time, whistles, swears, meows, bodily function sounds, electronic beeps, and bars of tunes I am trying to teach him. Older apartment building (concrete walls) no problem! I have screamed when bitten by George, and neighbors heard... a few times.
I think when he is alone he is quiet. Even if he is not, no complaints -ever! BTW -CHECK your local bylaws, tenant laws, etc... where I am I cannot be booted for just having a bird. Even if no pets policy exists, can't boot people for getting one after they move in!
BIG commitment, they demand lots of attention - might I suggest a conure? Great birds, cute, can fly around, will preen you while they sit on your shoulder.... smaller cage too.
Ontario, Canada