• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lethargic Lilac CRowned with sudden foot paralysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandysioux

Checking out the neighborhood
Our lilac crowned amazon, who has been completely healthy for the past 22 years started sitting on the bottom of her cage Friday.

She suddenly lost use of her right foot and is in pain when her right wing is moved. She is not eliminating and is very lethargic.

Went to the vet who took x-rays on Friday. X-rays show fluid in air sacs. Vet said she didn't know what the cause was but most likely the bird would not make it through the weekend. Suggested a tumor but was not sure. She offered to euthanize the bird or I could try to hand feed her and give her antibiotics. I took her home and have been hand feeding and giving har Baytril once a day.

She does have a mate and has been mating for the past few months but they have been together for 20+ years and she has never laid an egg. There was also not an egg visible in the x-ray. (In case that info helps)

After 1.5 days she is not much better, but not much worse either. I can't help thinking that there is not something else that can be done for her. Any ideas, any other recommened treatments or ideas on whats wrong with her? :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just a guess but the symptoms are very much like a bird that is egg bound but you say there was no sign of an egg in the X ray. If the egg broke inside her she is being poisoned from it. The symptoms are also very similar to a stroke but then you also mention fluid in the air sacs??

Keep her very warm, calm and hydrated. Fluid in the lungs is definitely not good. Personally I would seek out a second opinion from a different vet. She needs medical attention from someone who "does" know what's going on and she needs it ASAP.

I'm sorry this is happening. :(

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I'll ditto J.L.C. on everything he said.

Curiosity questions: Is this a very well experienced avian vet? Does your bird get daily or as often as possible direct sunshine (not thru window glass)? Is your bird fully flighted? Can you post pics of her and cage setup/living conditions? Exact diet?

Personally glad to hear that you did not put her down. Admire your willingness to handfeed and do whatever necessary to give her a chance to recover, if possible.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Did this vet give her a shot of calcium/D-3 and/or any electrolytes? What is the dose of Baytril? Is it the injectible type? Where might you be located if you do not mind saying? Is she drinking ok on her own? How is her breathing? Do you have any experience with Sub-Q injections of LRS (electrolytes).

You might want to gently massage the underside of your bird (often). Can't hurt IMO if you are careful and very gentle.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Where are you located? City and State or Country. We can help you find an avian vet.

Ginger

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
A tumor could cause those symptoms but is usually visible on an x-ray if causing that much grief :(

I had an Alexandrine that went lame and it ended up being an inoperable tumor on his kidneys/gonads that was pushing up against his spine and paralysing him. I dont think he was in pain, but the frustration in his lameness was SO evident in his face - It was the worst feeling for me when we were trying to work out, and fix, the problem :(

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am sorry to hear about your amazon....When Kiwi had xrays, the fluids showed up in x rays and a mass was suspected, but the mass itself was not apparent until the ultrasounds were done.

I would definitely get her to another avian vet...I took Kiwi to U of Penn, a very good teaching hospital...perhaps you have one near you...they are amazing and keep looking for answers.

I sure hope your baby will be ok...:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am so sorry about your amazon, I hope that she is OK! I agree about the second opinion

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I am so sorry you and your zon are going through this. If it were me, I'd take her another vet and get another opinion. You have to be an advocate for your bird since she can't speak for herself. Hope she is doing better today. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way. Please keep us posted.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
As everyone has stated, it is very important for you to get in touch with a Board Certified Avian Vet, the sooner the better.

Keep your bird quiet and warm. You don't want her to overheat, so my suggestion would be to put a towel over the back and sides of her cage and leave the front uncovered. You don't want her extending all of her energies trying to keep herself warm. Make sure she has plenty of water at her access.

Good luck and keep us posted.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending positive healing energy your way.:hug8:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I hope everything works out well for you both. Warmth and fluids will help until you can get to another vet that can give you some answers. Pedialyte works very well for the fluids.:hug8:

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
You've been given good advice so I just wanted to add my prayers that she will recover.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
just checking in to see if there are any updates.

mandysioux

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for all of the advice. I am looking for another vet to take her to. I am near Rochester, MN if anyone has any good suggestions.

I can post photos of Lady and her living arrangement tomorrow night, my camera is at work.
She is still not using her right foot but has been much more alert, but she has not eliminated any waste since Friday. She is drinking water.

I have been giving her .2 ML of Baytril by mouth once a day. She has been eating Mazuri pellets ground up with water added and has also nibbled a carrot and eaten some apple. I am hesitant to say that she is better but she is not worse, especially for a bird that my vet said would not make it through the weekend. She has been moving around much more and awake.

I know there were a couple of other questions...There was no egg visible in her x-rays and the vet said she could not feel anything in her abdomen.

Hopefully I can get a good second opinion tomorrow

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Not eliminating since Friday does not sound good. I hope you can get her in to see a certified avian vet asap.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Not eliminating since Friday is very serious.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
sounds very serious. Sending more prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.