• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lethargic baby budgie

LenaSeyer

Moving in
An adult budgie had 3 babys which are now about 3-5 weeks. The problem is that she started to attack the yougest one, he doesn't fly yet, like his siblings, and today he seems lethargic, all fluffy and tilt his head a little bit while breathing. I took him out of the cage and put it in a box with a warm sock.
I will get the other babys out later and put them in another cage. But I really don't know what I can do for this baby aside from take it to the vet.

LenaSeyer

Moving in
The dad also attack the older babies. But I can try and put the baby and him in another cage and monitor them closely

LenaSeyer

Moving in
update
I didn't get a hold of another cage to put him with their dad, but he seems better. Still a little lethargic, but he started eating by himself and walking around.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Just make sure he is getting enough to eat. You may want to weigh him a gram scales several times a day. If he weight drops you may have to supplement him with syringe feeding or two

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If the chicks are all being attacked by dad, remove dad and leave the chicks with mum.
Keep a close eye on the little ones crops to be sure they are all eating and have food in their crops all day long.

I would schedule a vet visit too, could be infection of something like that. Hard to know without some tests. Keep the chick warm on the journey.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is this the first clutch for these parents? You may want to think about not letting them breed again. Both parents have attacked the babies, correct?

LenaSeyer

Moving in
If the chicks are all being attacked by dad, remove dad and leave the chicks with mum.
Keep a close eye on the little ones crops to be sure they are all eating and have food in their crops all day long.

I would schedule a vet visit too, could be infection of something like that. Hard to know without some tests. Keep the chick warm on the journey.
Both parents attack the babies, the father attacks the older ones and the mother attacks the youngest. The older ones seem fine, as they eat alone and already fly, I still gonna separate them. But should I put them with the father or the mother? or try to see if they can be by themselves? The parents seems hormonal.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If both parents are attacking the chicks, then have the parents together and remove the chicks and house them separate.

LenaSeyer

Moving in
Is this the first clutch for these parents? You may want to think about not letting them breed again. Both parents have attacked the babies, correct?
This are not the first clutch, I belive it's their third one. The first one didn't end well, the babies suddlely died at 3 weeks, the second everything go well. In this one, the two older are good.

This are my mom's budgies, I tried to explain to her that it isn't good to let the budgie lay more eggs, but as we fail to get her out of the hormonal state, my mom decided to put the nest back into the cage.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This are my mom's budgies, I tried to explain to her that it isn't good to let the budgie lay more eggs, but as we fail to get her out of the hormonal state, my mom decided to put the nest back into the cage.
In the future, you can just remove the eggs to avoid breeding.

LenaSeyer

Moving in
If both parents are attacking the chicks, then have the parents together and remove the chicks and house them separate.
Alright.
My only problems its the youngest. He eats well, and today he was more active, even practiced flying, but right now he doesn't seems fine at all. I'm keeping him warm and wait for him to respond to try and feed them, but he's been unconscious of two hrs.
In the future, you can just remove the eggs to avoid breeding.
Yes, that's what my mom did today.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How is the little one doing now?