• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Let me in on your relationship with Bonded Birds

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I think we are all aware that, if possible, the most fair way to keep a parrot is with a partner due to their high social needs and biological programming to feel the need to have their flock nearby at all times. We of course cannot accommodate between working, spending time with our loved ones, maybe tending to other pets in the household, etc. I have a few questions regarding the circumstances of your Bonded birds and how that affects your relationship together.

I personally only have a cage of 4 budgies (who are split into 2 pairs, but are mostly un-tame due to my own doing) and the rest of my birds are singles with me planning to add same-or similar species additions if possible.

///

So I have a small list of questions to better understand the dynamics of this! Thank you :)
PLEASE include the species of the birds and if possible, their ages and caging arrangements.
Answering with the most details will of course be preferred- I want to know every bit of your birds relationship with you and their partner and the dynamics of it all! And please, add additional questions to your answer as you see fit for more detail.

Firstly, how did you get your bird, and how did you acquire your birds partner? - Since being babies? Introduced after having the first bird for a while? Right after weaning? After bonding with you? Longer than you can remember (for adopted adults of course). How long have they been buddies?

Are the bonded birds caged together? If not, where are their cages placed? How does this affect THEIR relationship together being caged together or not? Do you think this is enough for them?

Does your bird see their partner as a flock member/best bud or a romantic partner? Either way, how do you fit into their relationship? Are they very moody as a mated pair? Or alternatively, does one see YOU as the romantic partner and still have a buddy?

Does either of the birds in the pair adore spending time with you a lot? Would you say you or your birds buddy is favored over you?

How do you feel you stand with the bonded pair? Can you handle them as you please (if you want to at all, of course. Some people let birds be birds)? Do you wait for them to request your attention and love? Do they go days, weeks without wanting your attention or is it a daily necessity?

Are there times of the year (we all know... that hormone season) where they change? How DO they change, if so? If they do get broody, do your bonded birds get broody with their cage mate or you? Or both?

Do you have a better relationship with one of the birds in a pair of bonded or do you have similar relationships with both birds?

I think these are all of the important questions I can think of for now. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Firstly, how did you get your bird, and how did you acquire your birds partner? - Since being babies? Introduced after having the first bird for a while? Right after weaning? After bonding with you? Longer than you can remember (for adopted adults of course). How long have they been buddies? Are the bonded birds caged together?

Happy (gold cap conure 19 years old) & Chya (sun conure 16 years old)...Happy came from rescue and didn't like Chya at all until I let him eat formula with her from her spoon. It was like a light switch for him to share in handfeedings. Chya came from a local pet store at four months. Had to handfeed her as she regressed. They didn't share a cage for the first year. Chya would hang out inside my shirt and Happy on my shoulder. I've still maintained the same bond today that I had when they were young ones. I think from the handfeeding but not positive. Happy has always been somewhat moody so it's hard to say if he would be the same without Chya. Chya has just always been my sweet girl. She only ever bit me when Hachi was alive. She was so jealous of her. Buddies for 16 years.

Boober & Tosh: bonded and came from a flock of 51 or 54 cheekies. Boober gradually decided I was better than the flock or flock members. I kept Tosh even though she was partially bonded to another couple. There was a lot of love swapping going on in that group. Boober will now sit with me and follow me around. Tosh is a bit wild but will sometimes come over and touch me or sit on me and at times cuddle with Boober. She doesn't like to be touched but does like a good conversation. When they are caged, they cuddle and play together. But Boober is all about me.

Amada, Julip & Kari: Amada was from the large flock. She was beaten up and kicked out. After about a year Julip & Kari gravitated to her...first Julip and then Kari accepted Julip as part of their circle since Amada liked her. Kari LOVES men and Dr. O. She is not fond of me. Julip likes me and Amada is more flock oriented...roams the room doing bird things. Julip came from rescue and Kari was a rehome.

Zephyr: Pet store...single in a cage but bonded to Jewel. He prefers Jewel but if Jewel is busy with Rocco he comes over and mopes on my shoulder. Zephyr is overly pushy with Jewel and I don't think I'd trust him not to be a bully if Jewel was in the same cage.

Jewel & Rocco: Both rehomes. Share a cage. Jewel loves her boys and will try to acquire many. When out of the cage, she spends time with Zephyr.

Giggie & Carlton: Shared cage. Giggie is very, very attached to humans and has sep anxiety/plucking. So I've gravitated towards trying to push her into being more of a flock bird with Carlton. I don't want to encourage the over attachment and trying to find a balance. She is a sweet bird and very good with kids. She needs to be on one side or the other....either totally immersed in humans and attached 24/7 or encouraged to be more of a bird. Carlton likes Giggie and has no use for humans.

Maui & Zia: Recent bond change, sharing a cage. Zia prefers me and will thump Maui if she tries to interfere when Zia and I are snuggling but has finally accepted having a friend. Maui likes me but prefers her bird friends. She likes me best if I am doing something and she can be nosey.

Tuck & Rue: Rue is one of the large flock members and was one of the first that was beat up and booted. Tuck was one of Jewel's boyfriends but did not share a cage. He ended up chewing a hole in his leg so I moved him and Rue out in hopes they would eventually bond. They are bonded but Jewel does try to steal him when she's nesty. Neither bird wants human attention but I can get Tuck to step up for meds twice a day. Tuck has been bounced a bit and has some behavioral issues and Rue is wild.

How do you feel you stand with the bonded pair? Can you handle them as you please (if you want to at all, of course. Some people let birds be birds)? Do you wait for them to request your attention and love? Do they go days, weeks without wanting your attention or is it a daily necessity?
Most everyone is more occupied being in the flock. They will come to me for attention or if they are escaping another bird being annoying.

Are there times of the year (we all know... that hormone season) where they change? How DO they change, if so? If they do get broody, do your bonded birds get broody with their cage mate or you? Or both?
My girls get broody with myself and their mates. The boys get more territorial and aggressive.

Do you think this is enough for them?
No, there can never be enough for them if they aren't out in the wild raising babies and being birds. Just doing the best I can but I love pairs.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your questions are way too complicated. What you're asking is how did Ted/Bob/Joe meet Sarah/Molly/Ingrid? How did they become to like each other and how did that effect their friends?

All birds are individuals. Just like people. The bigger and smarter they are, the more complicated the whole thing gets. Now you throw in some "history" and "environment" (grew up in) that will influence everything. It's all situational. By far the biggest factor in all this is "you" and what you bring to the table. Your husbandry skills. The environment you provide. How much time and effort you put in to make things happen the way you would like.

It does not matter who is bonded with who. Everyone can still be friends. Or at least co-exist peacefully.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your questions are way too complicated. What you're asking is how did Ted/Bob/Joe meet Sarah/Molly/Ingrid? How did they become to like each other and how did that effect their friends?

All birds are individuals. Just like people. The bigger and smarter they are, the more complicated the whole thing gets. Now you throw in some "history" and "environment" (grew up in) that will influence everything. It's all situational. By far the biggest factor in all this is "you" and what you bring to the table. Your husbandry skills. The environment you provide. How much time and effort you put in to make things happen the way you would like.

It does not matter who is bonded with who. Everyone can still be friends. Or at least co-exist peacefully.

I second Johns reply to yor questions. I cant think of anything else to add , this pretty much sums it up.
:marlenesmile: